Right size combo for practice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ex34.6, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ex34.6

Mar 17, 2006
    I'm looking at getting a small combo to practice with. Normally, I will be playing with one acoustic & singer without PA. What size do I need & what brands are good? I'm really leaning towards Peavey, mainly because they seem to last forever, from what I've heard.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Ampeg B100R, search the forum here for more info.
  3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    peaveys do last a long time, im gonna send you a pm.
  4. ex34.6

Mar 17, 2006
    I've only heard great things about Ampegs, and I would like to get one in the future, but I would think that would be quite a bit louder than I need, not to mention more expensive. I've played coffee shop settings with a 25W Crate, and I thought it had enough power to backup a guitar and a singer, but I wasn't in the audience. My overall thought, as I am a beginner, was to buy a small practice amp, 10-50W, now, followed by a 200-300W cab later. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

5. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used a Peavey with 1-10" and about 40 watts for many years (at least 15 years). Very reliable. It still works except the input jack is soldered to the printed circuit board and is now becoming intermittent. I've had it repaired once and it's happened again so I've retired it. A lot of work repairing that type of problem. The board itself tends to crack. This is a common construction problem with many amps. The fact that the front panel is a bit thin can cause too much flexing. If you don't whack the plug on your bass cord you may never have a problem.

The controls got dirty and noisy but a shot of contact cleaner solved that.

Just bought a Yorkville XM50C last Sept. which is an even better sounding amp. I'd think that would be more than enough for what you say you need. I sure like mine. It should be under $275 US. Mine cost $320 Canadian. It has 1-10", 50 watts and weighs 30 lbs. Seems to be built very solid and has CD inputs, XLR line out and a headphone jack.

Your plan to get a bigger amp later for gigs at higher volume is a good one. I have a Mesa for that.
  6. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    Musicians Friend currently has the SWR Workingman 10 on sale for $199.
  7. ex34.6

Mar 17, 2006
    Thanks, I really appreciate the input.