1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rigoletto Solo

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by LouisF, Jun 7, 2012.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's coming up in September and I'm already starting to sweat. Anyone have any ideas (it'll be a full production; orchestra in the pit; scotch by the bass!!)

Louis

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    If my memory serves me you will be playing it along with the principal cello.

3. Witjas

Witjas

Dec 4, 2010
    Germany
    Practise it at different tempi, so you'll be prepared for however the conductor will take it.

Once rehearsals begin, get together with the cellist to discuss your interpretation and practise it together.

When I played it the basses were positioned behind the cellos and whilst the cellist could hear me from behind, I could hardly hear him at all. He was just too far away and with his cello facing away from me.. Certainly I couldn't hear him well enough to 'follow' him, in the sense of matching his sound, dynamic, intonation, rhythm etc. on the fly. All that had to be done together in the practice room. When it came to the performances I just had to play out and hope for the best. I think that worked out ok.. so I was told anyhow.

Have fun!

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, both!

Fortunately our principal cellist and I get along pretty well and she's sympathetic to bassists! Her father-in-law was Richard Kelley, former principal bass of the LA Phil!
    Louis

5. Listen to the two eighth notes in between your two notes so you don't get ahead. It's actually quite slow so don't panic. Keep a warm vibrato oing as much as you can and listen to the cellist!
    This is one of the nices solos in all of Verdi.
    Good luck,
    FC

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks!!