Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rita

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Oct 20, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sorta back in town and online now (56k - w00t!) after Rita hit. Of course the situation pales in comparison to Katrina but it was still a very life-disrupting kinda thing. My house fared *very* well - no significant damage beyond a blown-off attic vent and some fence gone. More importantly, my family and friends are all safe. Some pix:

Donk central, before:

[​IMG]

and after:

[​IMG]

This is what greeted me upon returning after an initial 10 days of evacuation. Note how all the leaves were stripped off the trees. The bleak look says it all. It would still be about two weeks after this photo before I got power back. The broken tree scraped a dormer off the roof of the neighboring house and destroyed the front porch. If the wind had been blowing the other way, I guess I would have gotten it.

And the backyard:

[​IMG]

Amazingly, no roof damage to that outbuilding. Last weekend I spent much quality time with a chainsaw. Hello, manual labor!

Here is work - this is the office across the hall from mine:

[​IMG]

We have emergency evac-ed to first a branch office and then into a new building. My current office is an erstwhile medical examining room. There is still some of the medical equip in the room.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some pics. :)

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Glad to hear you guys are safe!

I'll send Rachael Ray over to make you some badunkadunk soup to make you feel better.

:D

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You can call yourself somewhat lucky that the big tree didn't fell on your house.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Holy Cow Donkman!

Time to take that chainsaw and do a donkey head totem
    to that tree stump in the front yard. Brighten up the
    'hood!

Glad your back, kind of. Talk to you soon!

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Mark, watch out for the pit bulls and rotts....

O = :spit:

6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    No significant damage?! The storm blew away your Honda, as well as what looks like an older toyota! I'd call that incredibly significant! :D :D

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The tough thing was having to leave all of my basses and music gear behind - I had to pick one vehicle to escape in, and I had no real choice but to take the most valuable and dependable one - the Honda. My girlfriend's old Camry is actually there, unmoved, in the second pic, as is my trusty gearhauler truck...
    :)

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Evac in the Honda was 22 hours, btw. We got no food or gas until about hour 14 - which is better than a lot of folks who got neither and were stranded on the side of the road.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

He's just mad because he's been getting a beating today ...
    :p

:D :smug:

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Better watch it or you're going to get a doggie bite!

:spit:

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    An old building in downtown Port Arthur, where my parents live:*

[​IMG]

*edit: To be clear - my parents don't live in downtown Port Arthur, and not in this building. Their house was unscathed, though a motel across the street was trashed.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh, and mucho special props to NJL and Thor - NJL was kind enough to offer to put me and my girlfriend up during the evac, and Thor called numerous times to check up on me. Also Jay - Jay called to check in. Thanks to TBer whoapower, as well, who tried to get in touch.

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

'Glad you're O.K. After all that chain-sawing maybe you have a fireplace? Or are bonfires allowed in your neighborhood?

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Post of the year award!

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I sawed all of the appropriate stuff down and gave it to my neighbor. In return I can just grab from his woodpile whenever I get the occasional hankering to build a fire. Talk about win/win!

The neighboring county to the north was the only one around to lift a burn ban, but they learned their lesson quickly: After a slew of fire calls and problems getting to fires on still-blocked roads, the burn ban there was quickly restored.

Kudos to the crews of cranes/bobcats/semi-trailers that are scouring my neighborhood this week, doing a very good cleanup job! In other areas (the county to the north again), I've heard accusations that some contractors paid by the load are "cherry picking" debris, taking only the stuff that will fill their trucks the quickest. :(