Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RacingBeat, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Has anyone ever used the Really Nice Comressors for their bass?
    I know they're solid for sound guy type use, but how are they for bass?

and does anyone know about the RNP, Really Nice Pre-amp?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The RNC is hardly useful for bass. There's too much distortion at the settings that one would need for a bass, and it's mostly in the low registers (E string, and especially the low B if you have one). It's "really nice" for vocals though, it's a superb and very clean compressor for that purpose.
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

RNC is great for just about everything, except bass.
  4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I have had the RNC for a while and recently got the RNP. I have not used the RNC for bass, but I tested out the RNP and it gave excellent warm clean tones. Beat the pants off the Bass POD for what it does (which is where I set my POD almost all the time), but note that there is no tone shaping. I haven't really been on a preamp search (maybe later) so I can't really compare it to other clean preamps. But I was very impressed.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The RNC is indeed a strange agent but does work well with bass...provided you make some unusual adjustments. FWIW, FMR actually understates the RNC's capabilities in terms of attack and release. Using suggested settings (attack - 6.0 msec, release - 1 to 3 sec), I found I was getting a nasty distorted tone. The general philosophy has been to increase release time until the distortion disappears. No luck! I then tried increasing attack time to a minimum of 20 msec (sounds like a lot, doesn't it?). Bingo...worked like a charm. This is a great starter setting as it provides smooth, almost inaudible, compression without swell or "pumping / breathing". Want a little more "squash"? Daisy chain the output of the left channel into the input of the right; right output to your amp. Gives it a double-dose without sounding unnatural.