Robert DeLeo / STP

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tplyons, May 18, 2004.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think this guy is a genius, been playing a lot of his stuff. And especially kudos for him for building his own prototype sig bass. I really enjoy his work with STP, but now that Scott's with VR, what are the DeLeo's up to?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Robert is a very gifted Musican I love all the stuff he did with STP. I had heard they were trying to get together and do some stuff with the singer from the black crows but i am not sure what is up with that. I think some time down the road maybe many years that STP will playing together again.
  3. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    I love STP and Rob is my fav bassist. His very unique in his playing and his style. I think his best stuff is on Tiny Music, in particular, Adhesive, Big Bang Baby, Lady Picture Show, Ride The Cliche', Seven Caged Tigers, Trippuing On A Hole.....,
    From their earlier ablums i enjoy, Plush, Interstate Love Song, Creep, Wicked Garden, Big Empty, Crackerman, Still Remains and Vasoline. There were a few occasions where they sound a little Mad Season/Alice in chains.
    Their unplugged session was really good too. I even went so far and got myself an Aria Violin Bass :)
  4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I really dig his line on Creep. Very tasteful.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You got a rock bassist that was heavily influenced by Jamerson. What's not to like?! His playing on "Plush" is among one of my faves. :bassist:
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I only like some of STP's stuff, just not my bag generally.
    But Robert Deleo is a great bassist, "Tripping on a hole" is probably my favorite bassline of his.
  7. Last I heard they're both doing recording production. Bet you could make a nice living doing that... :D
  8. I bought the "Thankyou" compilation with the DVD.
    I've found their albums a bit patchy (the only songs I repeatedly listened to on Core were the singles)- so I prefer a compilation.
    excellent value at only £2 more than the CD only version.
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Rob has to be my favorite bassist.

I can almost play Trippin' up to speed without screwing up.

10. pacodores

Apr 25, 2004
    he is a realy talented bassist. i bought thair first album just for his work.
    "the big empty" is a great song.
  11. art school girlfrined has a great bassline. its from tiny music.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I used to play that song with my ex all the time. Fun stuff.

Great taste Dave, one of my favorite STP songs. :bassist:

PS Tiny Music is my favorite album and adhesive is my favorite song. :)
  15. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    My band decided the other day to cover a couple of their songs. I never listened to them much before, but he's got some awesome bass lines. Fun to play and listen to!
  16. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Another Robert Deleo fan here. Great tone and the style is great. Could not say which song has my fave bassline, but "Silvergun Superman" and "Army Ants" are great songs off of purple. I love "Coma" from Shangri La Dee Da.

I'm also of the opinion that everyone in the band is a genius in there own right (yes, even Weiland). I think Eric Kretz is one of the best rock drummers I have ever heard. And the Deleo bros. well, they made STP.

I think Robert is very underrated Rock Bassist.
  18. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    They're probaly my favorite Rock band from the early 90's, even though the critics hated them. (Which is odd; they were miles ahead of the other so-called, "Grunge" bands, in terms of musicianship and songcraft)

My favorite Robert line would have to be Wicked Garden. The rythm and timing of that song is unbelievable.
  19. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Rob is now doing production work with his brother. They were recently working on a record in a friend of mine's studio out in LA.

Rob is a great groover and writer. Pretty nice guy too.
  20. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I agree with that. He grooves extra hard...a lot more than your average rock bassist. I remember seeing them on MTV movie awards a loooong time ago when weiland had pink hair and Robert was just grooving so hard with his bass hanging around his knees! :bassist: