Robert DeLeo Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by patrickshofner, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Stone Temple Pilots has always been one of my favorite bands but I never really appreciated Roberts style so much until i myself began to play bass. I've never really heard much talk about him, but i think he's awesome. I jam to STP all of the time. haha

I've never seen what kind of basses he plays (schecter sells/did sell a robert deleo bass, but i would imagine its far from his specs.) or what kinda rig he plays on. If anyone knows, or even wants to comment on Robert DeLeo or STP for that matter, just drop a line!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Robert is one of my favorite bassist of all time, he is rock solid with groove awesome bassist. :bassist: His main bass is the Schecter Model T but he also plays a Schecter Custom Shop J bass, i noticed that in the last few years he had all of his giging basses retro fitted with EMG pickups.He also has a violin bass like this that he has used on Acoustic tracks like Atlanta
  3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    IIRC he used an Alembic Fx1 preamp and a QSC 1500 power amp into 3x Eden 4x10 and 3x Eden 2x12 cabs with the Schecter basses. Two stacks are on, the third is backup.

He did the first album with a G&L L2000 and an SVT, the second with his live rig, and then starting using primarily a biamp rig witha 50-watt marshall guitar head into a marshall keyboard 8x10, and an old Bassman into a 1x15. He did use some other stuff on the odd song here and there, too, the occasional effect pedal and so on. Don't know what he used for anything after Shangri-La-Dee-Da

Among the other basses he's used are a Schecter Model T with jazz pickups, not PJ, a Danelectro Longhorn, a couple of old short-scale hollowbodies (Limgar and Orlando) with flatwound strings (q.v the MTV Unplugged show), an upright bass on Pretty Penny, a '66 fender Precision with flats, a Fender Musicmaster, and a Ric 4001 (Art School Girl). He's also used a paisley telecaster bass but I don't know what for.

He's a monster player, has a lot of great lines-- Trippin' is a fingerbuster, and I really like most of the other stuff on Tiny Music.

One of my favorites Robert wrote is " Adhesive" off of Tiny Music.
  5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    One of my all-time favorite bassists and a major influence.

His gear list posted above is 100% accurate from what I've read.

Just plain rocks, plays great on ballads, has great feel for what the song needs, has severe elements of soul and motown music in his playing. A great songwriter, too.

In my opinion, one of the absolute best. :bassist:
  6. I just played "Plush" as part of an audition tonight. The Ebmaj7 section is one of the greatest basslines.
  7. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    What are some good newer songs by STP? I just listened to Plush and Scott's singing and Eric's drumming did nothing for me. :/
    I couldn't really get into them back when they hit it big and I still can't, I guess.
  8. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Ever since learning Interstate Love Song I really started to dig Rob DeLeo, he can really groove. He is probably one of my favorites, knows how to feel and just looks cool :cool: very talented guy - plays drums, guitar and keyboard.

Some noteworthy songs to check out are "Big Empty" (love the bass fill during the interlude) "Sour Girl" (so much fun to play) and "Trippin' on a hole in a paper heart (fast and one of his best).

Hope to hear more from the DeLeo brothers in the future. Does anyone have any updates on any side projects with Rob or Dean?

Their was some talk that they were going to join up with the filter frontman but nothing official yet. Robert just had his first Child alittel over a month ago.
  10. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    That's right, I do recall that now! I remember reading it on Filter's official website, Richard Patrick made the announcement that Dean DeLeo was going to play guitar, but if I recall correctly he said that Eric Avery was supposed to play bass. Sure would like to see Rob instead!
  11. Hey, Eric Avery is no slouch!
  12. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    True true.. Avery is great, but I prefer Rob any day :D
  13. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    what a suprise! Eric Avery and Robert DeLeo 2 of my biggest influences and the 2 most people haven't heard of...