Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rock basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalky, Apr 29, 2004.

1. chalky

chalky

Apr 29, 2004
    London
    :help:
    I'm a bassist in a rock band, yet I really don't know a hell of a lot about good basses for the right tones for the kinda music I play. I need educating and I think you guys can help me out!
    I currently play a short scale Epiphone SG, which is dang top-heavy and basically....a bit crap! I mainly went for it cos it was cheap, looked good, and cos I'm a short-arse so it looks in proportion to my minature frame.
    What I really need is a bass with good low tones which can rock, but is also short-scale. Is it possible....???

Peace and Rockouts :bassist:

C

2. mnemonix

mnemonix

Apr 27, 2004
    England
    All Warwicks with bolt on necks are available to order with 30" or 32" short scale options. I have a 32" Thumb on order at the moment.

An original Fender Mustang (30" same as your EB0) could be had for around £ 500, check ebay, there's usually a few.

Chris.

3. mnemonix

mnemonix

Apr 27, 2004
    England
    oh, and i love my Fender Spazz.

4. mnemonix

mnemonix

Apr 27, 2004
    England
    I can't keep away from this thread... mainly because I played a Gibson EB0 - the original version of your Epiphone for over 15 years and when I've sought advice about short scale basses got very few replies.

There's nothing wrong with what you've got, it's actually a pretty good EB0 copy: listen to 'sunshine of your love" by Cream, easy bass line to learn, but it's the big fat fuzzy sound which your bass is designed to make with the right amplification - and Jack Bruces fingers !

The Fender Mustang would give you a much cleaner more defined sound. The Warwicks, say a Corvette (if you don't like neck dive don't get a Thumb) are very hi-fi basses so they'd also give you a very well defined sound from a short scale as well as "growl". A Corvette would be around £600 depending on what options you wanted.

How much money do you have ? Alembic have always done short scale necks, they were good enough for Stanley Clarke, but are big money. A Squire Bronco is actually a copy of the old Fender Mustang for little more than £100, it won't compare in sound to the Fender (cheap wood, not string through), but would probably be less muddy than the Epiphone, no neck dive and the money you save would pay for a new bridge, pick ups, tuners and a set up !

Danelectro are another vintage manufacturer of short scale basses, many like them though I've never tried one.

If you've got the cash I'd recommend a Warwick Corvette with a 30 or 32" scale neck for a good all round rock sound and short scale.

chris.

5. Hmm. I'm not familiar with that model. I like it, man. After all, after the fifth fret, all those other frets just go to waste, anyway. No need to spend money on all that extraneous neck and fingerboard. ;)

6. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    What about a Danenectro? Short scale, Good 'ol dark tone, light as a feather, dang cheap

[​IMG]

7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well even though it's not short scale I think a Thunderbird is a great rock bass, it just radiates rock. But it's heavy and has a 34.5 inch scale, either way great rock bass if those others don't work out. Might wanna swap out the pick-ups for more clarity though. Plus it looks pretty cool too.

8. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    The DC Dano bass is not shortscale, at least not the current as pictured (that's what i have). The oddly named Longhorn is shortscale. That's the one with the horns, like a horseshoe. Around $300 on ebay.
    .Danos are sort of twangy and probably better for a band with some kind vintage thing happening (meaning an old fart like me).
    I agree, the Epi EBO is cool and it goes with your stage, ah, presence.

9. vote #2 for the fender mustang (NOT A SQUIRE) i had a 67 mustang bass and it had some serious bottom end and a really beefy tone, you could probably pick up one from the late 70's for around 400 or so and it would probably fit the bill... another alternative would be a fender musicmaster... i havent played any of those though

10. Artisan

Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    Go to www.rondomusic.com and check out their JR basses. Both are short scale and the bodies are scaled down too.

I own both of these fantastic little basses and they kick ass. Don't let the low prices throw you off. They are every bit as nice as a MIM Fender. Like I said, I own both and a MIM Fender Precision Bass.

I would get the Jazz Bass version for $110, but either would do nicely. Both have plenty of sass and a very good neck with lots of tone control. Both of these little basses provide thunderous lows and both have a nice midrange snap so that you don't get lost in the mix. Both have 30.5" scales.

Yes, I am serious.

Artisan

11. chalky

chalky

Apr 29, 2004
    London
    Ah, this is all good! Thanks for all your posts and keep them coming cos I think I'm gonna be shopping around for a while whilst getting the cash together!

So far I'm liking the Mustang, only concern is the colouring...
    The red one seems to remind me of Encore basses from Argos, and the white one may be too....well, light for me, but it's my choice so far. Proof is in the playing though.

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm also a smallish guy (5'5"), and I've found that body size/shape have more to do with playing comfort than scale length. In fact, I recently switched to a 35" scale Yamaha RBX-775 and found that it doesn't overwhelm my body as much as a full-size Jazz or Precision does (I also got my downsized Fender Jazz Plus V for the same reason).

If you reconsider, some examples of smaller bodies basses are Fender Zones, Jazz and Precision Plus, and Precision Lyte lines. On the higher end I've found the Pedulla's Thunderbass/bolt and Rapture models to be on the smaller side and quite balanced, as well as Curbows (and the import Cort Curbows as well).

For a great short-scale instrument, look around for the original Fender Urge models (32"). Downsized P-esque body shape and a great pickup/electronics package.