1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rocktron Gainiac

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TribalEagle, Aug 28, 2007.

1. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    Does some one here use the Rocktron Gainiac with bass? (the first model)
    What do you think of it?

I would like to get some tube pre to use with my Warwick Profet.. The Gainiac looks allmost perfect (two channels: one clean, one overdrive and cheap as hell..), but.. Can I use it in effect loop of the Warwick? The Gainiac doesn`t have effect loop, only input (front) and output (back)..

Is it possible to move the input to the back of the unit and feed it with effect-loop out from my amp?? (moving the jack is possible, but will it work in the effect loop??)

I don`t want to loose my Eq and compressor in the Warwick head by plugging my bass in to the Gainiac and then sending the signal to power section of the amp.
    One possibility is use the Gainiac in front of the amp (like pedal) but according to the reviews in Harmony-Central, you wont get really good results like that...

Thanks for the info..

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I don't see what the problem is...

Of course you can use it in the effects loop! Just go from the Warwick's "Effects Send" to the input of the Gainiac, then from the output of the Gainiac to the "Effects Receive". You'll need to spend some time tweaking the Gainiac and your Warwick's preamp for best results; chances are, it isn't going to be instant perfection.

You could certainly run it in front of your head as well, but again, you may need to adjust your Warwick's preamp accordingly.

Try it both ways - forget what Harmony Central said and try both methods out yourself. Pick the arrangement that you like best!

On a side note... there's a reason why the Gainiac has no effects loop - it's just a preamp. The effects loop is that "gap" between the preamp and poweramp. Think of the output of the Gainiac as an "Effects send".

3. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    I just bought the Gainiac from Ebay..
    We will see what the results are in near future..

And MysticBoo thanks for the input..