Roger Glover

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ironmaidenisgod, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    This guy must be the world's most underrated bass player.Whenever I play Highway Star or Smoke on the water,our guitar player gets all the credit though the bass lines are pretty complex as well.

2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That would happen to be Talkbass' second most used phrase.

It comes second only to this one:

3. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Well he is.
  4. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I agree - Glover's awesome. I especially enjoy his bass lines on "Lazy."
  5. yeah, you just can't beat Space truckin'! thats gotta be one of the greatest songs. i just wish i could find some distortion to match the organ's so i could play the intro live like that!

6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still have the Circus mag from the '70s with the shocker/teaser on the cover-

"Deep Purple Shake-Up"
    ...inside, it sez Glover & Gillan booted out of the band. I was shocked &, IIRC, pretty disappointed. Glenn Hughes was a pretty decent replacement, though.

You can see Glover jamming with the Mule on their Deepest End DVD/2-cd set.
  7. Well, Roger isn't only a pretty good bassist, he's also a superb talent scout. He produced Michael Schenker's (ex Scorpions) solo albums, just to mention a little of his work.
  8. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    He produced some Judas Priest too. :bassist: :hyper: .
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ha so true

___________ is so underrated. You can really put any bassists name in there and odds are, someone has said it.

Jaco really doesn't get any cred.
  10. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    You changed your name?Way cooler this one. :bassist:
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I feel it makes more sense, seeing as it's my name. :)
  12. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Yeah it's not 'stupid' anymore. :)
  13. jbass

Mar 22, 2004
    Agree. Aside from Roger, I would also mention Bob Daisley. They both have fine bass lines. BTW I won't consider them underrated just not given much recognition.
  14. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    When I started playing bass I saw that Daisley does a tutorial on some web-site.Dunno which one though.
  15. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Glover was fantastic on all that DP "Mark 2" stuff (which was also my favorite incarnation of the band)... and one of my strongest early influences. Glenn Hughes was a funkier player but not driving or crunchy like Glover was. Although Glenn was a good bassist, I think his excellent soulful voice was what carried him and got him the gigs.
  16. That Blackmore kept him around for so long says a lot for his talent.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

:bassist: No contest :bassist:
  18. Definitely a good bass player, and very underrated (but which bassist wasn't?).

BTW, what's the most commonly heard phrase?