1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rogue VB100 vs Squier Affinity J Series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yeasayer, Jan 9, 2012.

1. yeasayer

yeasayer

Jan 4, 2012
    Hi! I currently own the Squier Affinity J Series bass. It was my first bass and I've had it for about a year. I have a few issues with it, though.
    It is too heavy and big for me, and that leads to sore shoulders.
    I have very thin fingers, and it seems the "Medium-jumbo frets" are too big for me, making it hard to maneuver around the neck.
    Finally, I just don't like how the bass looks.
    I've been looking into the Rogue VB100 bass, because I have a budget of $240 and I've always loved the violin style. I also like that it's light-weight.
    Are the frets smaller so that I will be able to play with more ease? Should I sell my Squier and settle for the Rogue? Thanks for reading.

2. BassAlchemy

BassAlchemy

Nov 2, 2011
    Get the Rogue. It plays great and looks cool. I use one as my main gigging and recording bass. Switching the factory strings and replacing it with a set of short scale flats makes this bass sing. It has a deep woody and particular tone. It looks more striking than the typical P/J body which most own. The finish and craftmanship is good. For $200 this bass is a steal and remember that when Mccartney got his Hofner it was the equivalent of a Rogue in its day. I would wager that a Rogue is better built than one of the original Hofners like the one Macca bought.

3. Nsih

Nsih

Jan 22, 2012
    You sound like you hate the j bass. Get the rogue. You shouldnt play a bass that doesn't suit you. Sell it or keep it for sentimental value.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have both a MIM J and the Rogue. I don't play the J as much as I might because it's over 9 pounds, the heaviest bass I own. But I have a big strap with sheepskin fleece padding on the underside, and that helps.

The Rogue is a nice bass, but as noted above, it NEEDS a good set of flatwound strings. The stock factory strings are horrible and tinny sounding. I installed Labella Hofner Flats on mine and they are wonderful. Note that this bass requires 32" scale strings although the scale length is 30".

I found the fit and finish on the Rogue to be very good, and it's fun to play. I do think the E is not quite as strong as the other strings.

P1010305.

There are many short scale basses that you could look at at. One of my all-time favorites is the Gretsch 2202, which has a powerful sound, balances well, is light, and they're always available on Ebay for less than $200. Although I enjoy the Rogue, the Gretsch is a better bass with a more powerful pickup. It's a better investment for the money....and although I also own a couple of Squiers, IMO it's a better bass than either of them as well.

PB070023.

5. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    I've been playing the Rogue almost 5 years. The short scale is more comfortable (and faster) for me.

Back surgery last September (blown disc & nerve damage) means I'm not likely to be looking for anything heavier than this.

Changing it's "bite" is as easy as changing from rounds to flats (or vice versa). Can't say enough about this bass...price wasn't really a consideration, but the fact that I paid under $200 for it was definitely better than a poke in the eye. Done a fair amount of work on it (good set-up/new mini-pots, switches & caps/replaced the wiring harness/ laminated the control plate/ retro fitted a Hofner tailpiece & replaced the control & tuning knobs). Still under $300 total in it & it's uniquely mine.

The Korean built ones are a deeper color (more like iced tea. The newer Chinese models are more like a trans-amber).

Here's mine. Sorry 'bout the lousy images...cellphone's the only camera I've got handy right now...

Rogue.

Rogue2.