Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron Wood?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by burk48237, Oct 16, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I recently picked up a Faces compilation CD. I always liked their sound growing up and dug the electric piano on "stay with me". Anyway I was blown away by Ron Woods bass playing, it reminded me alot of Andy Fraizers with Free. Really cool and funky lines, the man has some serious soul. Check out the bass line on "three button hand me down".

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Although Ron Wood can play bass, he was the guitarist and Ronnie Lane was the bassist. And yes, Ronnie Lane was absolutely great. Too bad he got multiple sclerosis and died broke. It was a really sad ending to a great player.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    You can hear Ron Wood on bass with the Jeff Beck Group on their first 2 LPs. I always liked his playing on those.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Ronnie Lane played and had a tone a lot like Ronnie Wood's, I dug them both! Besides the Jeff Beck albums, Ronnie Wood also played bass on the first few Rod Stewart albums.
    p.s.....it's always nice to see Andy Fraser's name in any thread, one of my biggest influences when I was young. :bassist:

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's Wood on bass on "Maggie May".
    I recently picked up the Faces' box & Lane is happenin'.

The Faces woulda beed a great band to be in...seemed like they were about having a good time, what RnR is about!
    ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can remember seeing a few live UK TV performances on things like Old Grey Whistle Test and Ron Wood was always playing guitar and Ronnie Lane was always on bass - I suppose in the studio it was whoever was most "together" - they were known as a partying band!! ;)

7. +1. :)

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    yeah, wood played guitar and lane played bass, but in the studio they tended to switch back and forth or just go by who was available.