Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rondo Rickenbacker copy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by korchm, Oct 26, 2003.

1. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    geesh!! don't you wish they had one? i wonder if we can request this to rondo?

2. If i remember correctly, a few years back when i was still playing guitar, Someone on HC posted a thread of a Ric Guitar clone, but within minutes of Rondo posting it on their site they were forced to take it off and out of production due to legal threats from RIC.
    So unless they get a liscence to make any...i dont think you will be seeing any for a while.

I dont remember if the legal threats thing is exactly true, But im sure there was a Ric Guitar Clone that mysteriously dissapeared.

3. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    cool! too bad.

4. The best thing to do to get the real story...as i got it second hand. Is to email Kurt and ask him about it.
    And ask him if there will be any RIC clones in the future.

RIC is very vigilant about keeping their identity. They dont hesitate at all to go after anyone with clones. If it is gonna look like a RIC, it better have RIC on the headstock.
    Its a bit silly IMO.

5. So did Univox :)

All hath been sued out of production.

6. The Ibanez I played (belonged to a friend) had a bolt on neck and you could tell it was a copy compared to my '61 4000, but I'm not up on the univox copies at all!

Great picture though!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. From what i remember there was also a company called Greco? that made RIC clones as well.

I believe they also were sued out of production. :meh:

8. Yes, that's right. The Warmoth Greco. It looked just like a Ric but there was this ugly lizard inlay on the fretboard.

Just kidding!

9. Hey guys, you don't have to worry about Ricky and their band of lawyers if you just build one for yourself. Take a look down in the "Luthier" forum for a post showing one in the process. Very, very cool.

As long as you aren't selling them, you can do whatever you like for personal purposes.

I've entertained the idea of a Ric clone using an Alnico humbucker(s) like a MusicMan. I've always liked the body style but the tone always put me off.

10. I want to get another RIC and put an EB-0 pickup in it myself. :)

Not too sure what i would put in the bridge though. :meh:

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

12. Cool. You do learn something new everyday.
    I never knew that. :):D

13. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    you a Cliff Burton fan too?

14. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    That's incorrect. Greco has always been the house brand of Fuji Gen-Gakki (Fuji Stringed Instruments), a factory which also made Ibanez to specification for Hoshino and Japanese Fenders to spec for Fender. They may still make them. Fuji Gen-Gakki and Greco are not owned by Ibanez. Ibanez is a brand name, not a factory.

15. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Rickenbacker has trademarks on the "trade dress" of their instruments, including the body designs. They do not wish to produce cheap copies of their instruments and they won't allow others to. The last to try was Jay Turser, and RIC won a big settlement against them.

Even if you're a private party trying to sell a Rick clone on eBay, they will have it removed under eBay's Verified Rights Owners program. If that custom copy down in the Luthier forum is ever offered for sale in public and called a "Rickenbacker copy", it is likely to be found and stopped.

16. Actually...not really. Ive never been much of a Metallica fan. Im a Motorhead guy myself. Before Lemmy had his custom RICS he had one or two with an EB-0 in it as well. I dig the sound of a RIC with a EB-0.

Lemmy Rawks :D

17. did burton have an EB-0 pickup in his rick?

18. yes, at the neck position, and a jazz bass pickup at the bridge position.