1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ronnie James Dio was a bass player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Richland123, May 1, 2010.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Ronnie James Dio's (Ronald James Padavona) musical career began in 1957 when several Cortland, New York musicians formed the band The Vegas Kings, which soon changed their name to Ronnie and the Rumblers. This band's lineup had Padavona on the bass guitar, along with singer Billy de Wolf, guitarist Nick Pantas, drummer Tom Rogers, and saxophone player Jack Musci.

In 1958, the band again changed their name, along with a few changes of personnel. The band was now known as Ronnie and the Redcaps. At this point, Padavona began singing, replacing de Wolf. Musci also left the band, and a new guitarist, Dick Botoff, joined. The Redcaps lineup released two singles: "Lover" b/w "Conquest" (with De Wolf on vocals on the A-side) on the Reb label, and on Seneca (S 178-102, USA) in 1958 and 'An Angel Is Missing' with 'What'd I Say' on the B side (both songs featuring Ronnie Padavona on vocals) in 1959.

In 1961, they changed their name to Ronnie Dio and The Prophets. The Prophets lineup lasted for quite a long time and produced several singles and one album. Some sources state that some of the single releases were made by Ronnie James Dio solo, but others, such as Dio himself, state that all of the singles were made as a band.

Here is one of their singles with Dio on lead vocal - An Angel Is Missing

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Ronnie James Dio has an immortal voice. Guy still sounds great today and he's 50 years into his professional career. The rest of us should be so lucky as to have his endurance.

3. sucks about the stomach cancer :(

4. squirefan

squirefan

Nov 22, 2009
    Lansing, Ks.
    I'd never have guessed. Incredible!
    Thanks for that info. Can't wait to amaze my friends/stun my enemies.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    wow, who knew he was 67? what's happening? when did everyone get so old?

6. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    He's amazing man!!

7. cool find!

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I love it. He sounds great on that old stuff, too.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I played with his guitar player back in high school (Craig Goldy). Nice guy. Even friended me on FB. He was quite the born-again christian back then - which puzzled the hell out of me when I heard he joined Dio...

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Maybe that explains why you can always hear the bass loud and clear on Dio's records.

Lovin the bass tone on "Rainbow in the Dark", "Holy Diver" and other.

11. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Thanks for the info and links!

X8

12. I don't know if there is any truth behind this, but I also heard that he was a phamacist.

13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Just means he likes to rock, that's all.

14. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    "Pharmacist" as in the guy who fills your prescription at CVS, or the guy that sells you an eight ball in the alley behind CVS?

15. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    Yeah, that's kind of a bummer. Sounds like he's doing well with treatment. My grandfather had his stomach removed due to cancer back in the 80s and lived another 20 years before just being old finally got him.

16. Met Ronnie James Dio in the early 80s while bartending in Hollywood. Nicest guy you could ever meet. No egotripping or disparaging remarks common to so many celebrities. I think he also left me a big tip. An encounter I'll always remember!!:)

17. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    I met him once - he was shopping after hours at a mall and we talked for minute- he was totally cool. A small guy with a huge voice!

18. Met him at Adray's Electronics in Van Nuys, CA, and marvelled at how diminutive he is.