1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Century Std versus SKB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fab Savage, May 12, 2011.

1. Hi Guys

I really need some buying advice on a new 6 string. I have the opportunity to get a really nice Roscoe Century Standard (CS6) at a great price, however after looking around at some of the finishes available on the SKB 3006 (and LG ) series and listening to a few samples, I am wondering if I should hold out and wait and get a more expensive SKB?

Just wondered if anyone has owned/played both and if the extra money on an SKB would be well spent or should I grab a bargain on a CS6 save some money and still end up with an amazing 6er?

Thanks heaps

Mike

2. You may want to post this on the Roscoe forum.
    Fishheadjoe

3. Mike, hello!

:hyper:

Just to help clear up what may be a bit of a misunderstanding on your part, there are three body shapes -LG, SKB, Century; and you can order any of those body shapes in one of three models - Standard, Custom, or Signature.
    Because of the forum rules, I can't go into a lot of detail, but if you have any more questions, please head on over to the Roscoe Forum here, and we'll be happy to help you out in any way we can.

For the record - all of them sound great, in my (admittedly somewhat biased ;) ) opinion. The Standards are a great way to get a full-on, US-made (NOT imported) bass at a very sensible price, and you are not going to end up "settling" if your primary concerns are tone and playability - plus there is a very cool vibe to the look of them as well. :)

4. Thanks Gard will do!!

Pm d you

5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    fwiw I think the Century Stardards are one of the great value "deals" around at the moment. You get the Roscoe sound, same guts as the more expensive ones, same great craftsmanship (just not the ridiculously nice tops), all made in the US for about $2K. SKB probably isn't going to sound very different - subtle at best. Just depends on if you want the sick top.

6. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Be aware that the typical Roscoe sound that you may be familiar with comes from a Roscoe-exclusive version of Bartolini p.u.'s. The Standard models come with standard Barts (strangely enuf!) which I've heard desribed as "more open", and perhaps less mids-focussed. Compare first if possible.