Roscoe SoundClips 3 (from Roscoe Forum)

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by Ryan L., Mar 6, 2012.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  2. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
  3. Register_To_Disable

4. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Cool! Can't wait to get my new baby and record it on some gigs. Gee I hope it is soon (wink, wink).

5. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    YeeHaw! I'm in! :hyper:

:D

God Bless, Ray

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    We're on 3 now, dang!

7. Bama Bass

Bama Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Subscribed ......:bassist:

....and baby stepping my way back .........:bassist:

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Do you have something in the works we don't know about? Perhaps an Elrick-Roscoe trade?

I have a nice new interface here waiting to do some recording. I'm busy for the next week or so and then going on vacation, but upon my return I plan to get some clips of my basses made. There are going to be a couple new Roscoes in the house and new (to me) pickups and preamp in my SKB so it will be worth documenting anyway :cool:

9. Bama Bass

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Looking forward to hearing those clips Jeff.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    A few from my band, Quartus:

The first 3 are D049, the MonkeMan, my SKB Standard 5MM Plus:

The tapping on this one nearly killed me....

I'd really love your critiques, guys - both on the playing (please forgive it) and the mixes.

And one from D010, my SKB Standard 5J Plus

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  11. Very Cool Jon.. Diggin the Ska vibe going on here.. Your playing just hands down bitchin and in the pocket like a mo-fo.. Your tone is Rockin!!

12. Bama Bass

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Great sound and playing Jon!

You hit on quite a few styles of playing on those tunes. Great sounding group too!
    What did you guys record it on? Very good quality.

You need to sell me one of those Roscoe's of yours! My Elrick 6 just sold and I badly need to get back into the Roscoehead fold!

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Dang, between all those clips, there's a lot going on. a lot of awesome at that.

Especially love the tapped line.

14. DAMON

DAMON

Sep 9, 2011
    Ok, here's my synopsis.

Your playing individually is awesome, and your band seems to gel with each other very well. Your singer kinda sounds like Brandon Boyd from Incubus at times, to me... Not a bad thing.

From a purely Roscoe perspective, your JJ speaks to me more. The Monkeyman seems to sit in the mix more, while JJ stands out without being obtrusive. My 2 cents. All around... Very impressive!

15. Dude.

:ninja:

Oh, I guess I could be more specific. Ahem:

Dooooooooooooooooooood.

There. :D

16. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm loving the bass(es) sound, the playing and the band. Just killer. I also like the (non-Roscoe content) acoustic clips you guys put up on youtube. Great stuff with the RA.

The Monkeyman is just ridiculous. Like a Stingray only way better. If I thought buying one would make me sound as good as you I'd do it right now, but alas it will not. That won't stop me from possibly doing it anyway at some point :D

17. Ok, removing tongue-from-cheek...my last post was just for Jon, since he gave me the honor of a sneak listen yesterday.

Just damn. Great, great band. And boy do they have the right cat in the bass chair. Jon, you're killing it. Tone aside, the lines are spot-on, the grooves are THIS deep, and the band sounds better with your presence. I really, really love how you complement the drummer, and I would even drink some of Greg's Bud Light if I could hear you guys live.

Random notes...

The drummer's snare sound. KILLER. It makes me smile, and couldn't be more perfect.

The MM thing is an absolute mystery to me. I just get in the same room with one, and cats shriek, women hide their small children, and the gendarmes show tazers and tear gas. You, on the other hand, sound magical. A total, "Ahh...that's how it should be," moment.

Now, the JJ? Oh my. As Damon alluded, this one just does it for me. I remember hearing my red devil recorded for the first time, and hearing your cut above put that same smile on my face. Great formula, and your bass...in your hands...is pure candy for the ears.

Great music, my man. There is no pleasure in life like listening to the good stuff, and this qualifies.

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    That happens me, all the time, with every bass.

You get used to it.

Worst it ever happened, I was jamming, and cranked the bass dial high on the bass I was using(for teh muddy lulz), sounded like pure crap. Guitarist says "dang, you should leave it like that all the time! Can I have a go?" So I handed him the bass, and he played this super slick chunky funk, sounded awesome. Handed me back the bass, and it sounded like crap again. Bah, banjo here I come....

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Guys, thanks. I just can't get over how good these things sound. After having so many basses that I can't remember them all, I've definitely found my "home." Other than the Rob Allen, there's no place in my stable for a non-Roscoe. I'm just that spoiled.

Jerry, the thing with the MMs is, you have to give them time. That jangly sound is there, in spades, when that bass is solo'd (like the beginning of "Life"), but disappears one the band comes in. There's definitely something to that sound.

And you ALL are right about the jazz - that bass is SICK!

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Just effin' awesome, as always Jon. Brilliant stuff in all respects.

Even the RA stuff (I admit to having a lust for a Deep 5). ;)

21. Bama Bass

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well the bar has definitely been raised on this thread lately but you know that I've got to post a couple sound clips of the new CS6 Roscoe. It's been a while since I've been able to post any Roscoe sound clips but I'm finally "back in the saddle" again!

Here are spec's of the bass:

- Century Standard Plus 6
    - Body: Mahogany
    - Koa top
    - Finish: Oil
    - Preamp: Bartolini 3-Band
    - Pickups: Bartolini Dual J Pickups
    - Neck: 3-Piece Maple Neck
    - Fingerboard: Bird's Eye Maple, Fretted
    - Hardware: Black :)

Here's a couple of original tunes that I'm working on that I used the Roscoe CS6 on. Both were recorded using Reason 6.0

The first one "Polo Man" is a Bass Orchestra tune that was inspired by all of the Polo outfits that my wife bought our grandson Grant (2 1/2 yrs old). As I listened to it I could just see him strutting around in his Polo outfits.

The next tune is a R & B tune that was inspired by the opening bass riff. I went for a throaty tone on this one (most bridge p/u).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014