1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe vs. Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Apr 28, 2015.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hey All,

Okay, so my latest showdown has me going through three different basses, one of which already went back (the only new one, a 2015 Ibanez SR5005OL-read my comments in The Ibanez Club, fyi). The latest is a Roscoe SKB5 Standard Plus, with a very pretty Bubinga Pommele top. The other, arriving hopefully tomorrow, is a Spector Euro6LX. Yeah, one's got an extra string, but I'm fine with both (prefer a 5, but no biggie). I got a good deal on both of these, so it should be interesting to see how the Spector does, as I don't know if I can afford both of these beauties (even with the good prices). I grabbed the Spector, because my loaner Spector, a Korean NS2000/5, has ridiculous sustain, so that won me over. I do know, after having played with the Roscoe, that while the sustain might not equal the Spector (I've never heard a bass with THAT much sustain), it might just have the tightest and meanest sounding low-end I've ever heard in a bass. The E is fantastic, and the low-B is nothing short of growly as hell, taught, and every bit as clear as the rest of the strings. The B even beats the the Mod Q5's I've had in the past. I don't know how Keith Roscoe does it, really.

Another cool thing about the Roscoe, is that I could switch the Bart pickups out for Carvin's new radiused RADHV's, as I got spoiled by curved pickups from a few Peaveys I had before. I do notice, while the pickup blend is flat, that the A does have a bit weaker volume to my ears, compared to the other strings. I have seemed to remedy this, though, by favoring either pickup. It's probably got the nicest "P-Bass on steroids" sound I've ever had, and it can cop a nice burpy Jazz tone, too.

Buuuuuut, I've also heard nothing but great things about the Euros, which Stu Spector said are just overseas production instruments of his US models. I have taken a liking to the Korean's sound, believe it or not, as even it has "that Spector sound".

So, what do y'all think? Btw, I also have a brand-new Schroeder 1210PL cab being delievered today, that'll go into my GK 1001RB-II (such a great and underrated head, imo).

Thanks for the input!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Thomas Kievit likes this.
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Pfew.. hard to tell my friend. BUT! (there's always a but :p ), looking at the fact you prefer 5 over 6 and the fact how you talk about the Roscoe, I would suggest you take the Roscoe :)

3. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yeah, she's pretty decent so far. There's a little buzzing here and there, but certainly not enough to make her unworthy. The gain pot is super-responsive, too...wow, what a volume difference.

Thomas Kievit likes this.
  4. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    if it were an American "Woodstock" Spector, it would be a no brainer... however, with it being a Euro, I'd vote for the Roscoe

tbz and SanDiegoHarry like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I won't say either bass is better than the other because they are both great. Given the choice between a Roscoe and a Euro I would take the Roscoe every single time. Now, if it were a US made Spector it would be much more difficult to choose.
    I owned a Euro and it was great. I still own a Roscoe Century Signature 5. It's not going anywhere...

The Spector is probably going to be fairly heavy, especially in comparison to the Roscoe. That might not matter to you though...

I have been looking for a 6 string lately, that Spector would do nicely ;)

6. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Dave, weight doesn't matter to me. I had an Ibanez PB776 that clocked in at 11.6 lbs, and this Spector is just around 11, so no biggie there. I like the "solid" feeling of heavy basses, too. But, if it doesn't win out, then I'll let you know if ya want.

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    First of all, Roscoe and Spector are two of the best basses on the planet so you can't go wrong with either. I have the Spector Euro 4LX with the tonepump preamp (no pics, no bass)...
    SpectorEuro4LXface.
    ...if thats what yours has all I can say is "stand back".

My preamp is the early nontrim Tonepump yours should have the trim pot inside the control cavity (unless you got the dark glass option). I think the newer trim tonepump is voiced the same as the older nontrim one like I have if you turn the trim pot all the way up. With mine, when the bass and treb knobs are at about 25% on I just barely crack the volume pot open and its screaming loud. However, most players find the sweet spot for the trim pot to be somewhere between 30% and 50% on. I think you'll find the sound is fantastic as is the fit/finish and playability not to mention the Spector customer service.

Be sure to check in to the TB Spector club thread for tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your Spector.

iceboxbass and 99Z3 like this.
  8. I think that Roscoe wins on looks alone. :D

9. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yeah, this one has the Tonepump, and CS pickups (not the switchable TW's), so it might not have the gain pot. I'll have to check that out when it arrives, as I do with any bass.

10. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    These were what also swayed me to Stu's world: :bassist:

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dang, excellent choices. I have a Roscoe Century 5 and a Spector USA NS-5, I love them both. However I play my Roscoe 80% of the time at home and 99% of time at shows. It just balances better, weighs less, and the neck fits my hand better. The Spector has a wider, flatter neck. Both sound fantastic, just different. The Spector punches you in the gut, while the Roscoe smacks you in the head..for lack of a better description :)

12. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I had a Roscoe Century Standard and I loved it, stupid GAS! I miss that bass. I went through a few Spectors and I could not get a sound out of them I liked, maybe it was the EMG's. I would say go with Roscoe.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That reminds me..on both of my USA Spectors I replaced the EMG's. Bart MM on my NS-5 and DiMarzio Area J's on my NS4-H2 (which I sold to help fund my Roscoe!). But both cases there was a huge improvent in warmth and dynamics by replacing the EMG's.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Being primarily a 6-string player, and a longtime Spector Fan, I've thought about a US NS-6XL for many years. A Euro 6XL would suit me fine too for that matter. I'd personally lean towards the US model with a walnut back as I'm more from the P-Bass camp and I prefer growly, low mids punch with less zingy high end. My guess is an all maple Spector would have more inherent high end then I'd like.

Tough to choose between a Roscoe and a Spector IMO. Both are amongst the finest basses being made. I have a Roscoe SKB3006 that's an incredible instrument. I also have a Spector NS4CRFM, which is the all maple Czech made predecessor to the Euro line. It's a fantastic bass, and it's definitely a keeper.The Spector's curved body is my all time favorite; for me it becomes a part of me. Great, great instrument.

Great point, mmbongo! I prefer the fatness of Bartolini's Original Series Deep Tone Quad Coils over any of the EMG's I have, but that's not to say I dislike EMG's, but they do have an inherent "compressed" sound and feel to them IMO. I do like their relative noiseless feature, though.

15. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    OP weren't you playing a Cirrus? What happened with that? (Maybe I'm confusing users here).

This really just boils down to personal preference. The Spector Euro is a studio beast for rock and heavier music.

iceboxbass likes this.
  16. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I indeed was playing a Cirrus (US Tiger Eye 5), but after having it for around a month and a half, I went to adjust the trusssrod, all to find out that the nut was all but stripped. I took it to my luthier, who got a little grip on it, but said that the rod was basically maxed out, and cracked the ebony board as a result. All of that, combined with neck-thru construction, was the kiss of death. The cost of fretboard replacement would've been pointless, considering what I paid for the bass in the first place. I should've spotted all of this within the TWO-WEEK return period that the seller gave me...lesson learned. Even though the Spector is neck-thru, it doesn't have an ebony board. One or the other is fine, but never again will I get the two together on ANY bass.

17. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Wow..thats crazy. Have you found any 5 or 6 string necks that play as well as the cirrus? I'm on the lookout myself.

18. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Actually, the Roscoe is pretty nice. This Spector is going to have to bring the house down to beat this thing, and it could, so we'll see! Like I told a previous poster, basically that whichever one I prefer in the end, the other will go up for sale, so check back in here to find out.

19. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    if I might also add, the music you play (modern country I take it?) is far better suited to the tone of the Roscoe, no? The Spector with EMGs can be a bit aggressive for that country bass tone... what did you record this with?

The video looked like you were playing the Roscoe..

20. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I'm actually his touring bassist, but that's me in the vid. Chris usually has session guys to record, and a separate band to go live...pretty standard with a lot of artists. Anyway, I think the recording was done either on a Fender P or a Sadowsky, and I've never been impressed enough to buy one of them. I went to NAMM once, too, and checked out Roger's stuff...meh. That memory still dominates any other considerations of mine.

FWIW, the bass I used in that vid was my old Ibanez PB776. It was a great bass, especially for the money, until I realized that neck started needing adjustments waaaaay too much.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    SamJ likes this.