Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rosin????

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by GiveUpTheFunk, Jan 21, 2004.

1. how do you apply rosin to the bow? :bawl:

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    1 Welcome to TB, Please post in the apropriate section
    2 If you can't figure it out by yourself you're in real trouble for the load of other things you still have to learn: GET A TEACHER
    3 Read the NEWBIE LINKS, they are for YOU

3. Pretty good restraint there Ollie. Good thing Fuqua isn't around to reply to this.

4. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Please get a teacher.

1. Get the bow and the rosin in separate hands.
    2. Point the sticky side of the rosin upwards and the hair of the bow towards the ground.
    3. Place the hair that is closest to the frog of the bow on the rosin and pull while applying pressure.
    4. Repeat as needed.

5. stop telling me i need a teacher, i dont live in boston or new york, i live in a small town with nothing but retirees that play golf. i was lucky to find a bass guitar teacher, much less an upright bass teacher. on top of that i dont have enought money for another teacher. and dont treat me like an idiot, i was doing exactly as you said, i just needed to make sure it was the correct way.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hehehe...hope I've got enough popcorn for this one.

7. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hey Marcus, i already grabed a six-pack...ehehehe ;)

8. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ordering pizza here....(tick, tick, tick....)

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I am not trying to flame, bash, harshly criticize or otherwise be a meanie. This is absolutely a genuine effort at offering advice.

You really should consider trying to find a teacher for upright. I have been playing EBG and acoustic guitar for nearly 20 years and have never had a single lesson (Insert Ferris Bueller clip here). I consider myself to be a fairly accomplished player.

I started studying with a teacher on DB about 8 months or after gaining interest in the instrument. I thought that I could easily teach myself easily with my experience on EBG. I became frustrated very quickly.

The concerns mentioned here about actually hurting yourself physically are very real, but that aside there are some other considerations.

First of all, your progress will be painfully slow without a teacher. A teacher is often able to correct problems in a lesson or two that have plagued you for months.

Secondly, you need reference. I'd wager that even the most accomplished players can't really make detailed observations about themselves while playing, much less a beginner. Even Tiger Woods has an instructor.

I am sure there are countless other reasons, but there is no point in belaboring the issue.

I will add that my DB studies have made me a MUCH better bass guitar player. With a little creative thinking, many of the teachings for DB can be applied to the plank. Whereas the opposite is a much more difficult task. I add this only to say that looking for a teacher is worth the effort. I certainly understand economic constraints, most people have them. But, you may wish to consider foregoing lessons on bass guitar and studying with a string bass teacher for a while. I think it would be productive for you.

10. I think this one bears a little addendum. LIVENUPTHEJUNK originally posted this in another forum immediately after posting in another thread that after a month or so of experience playing the DB, there was no problem making the transition to a real bass. I think Olivier was just pointing out that he might want to learn a little before becoming a sage.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113617

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Well, I guess the rest of us can now just pack up and go home.

12. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    You wouldn't ever need to use rosin in a HS Big Band, would you? ;)

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    SkinOffTheSkunk: We just want to make sure you don't give up DB too soon, like lots of things, it takes years to get it right: Get a DB teacher. And you're not the first guy that claims to live in the middle of nowhere. Why don't you place want adds for a double bass (or cello or even violin) instructor in churches, drugstores, public libraries and -why not- golf clubs. Adults and senior citizens have more diversified activities and experiences than what you may think of. You could also ask this forum "anyone knows a DB teacher in Marion County, Florida ?" Or, you can wait until an oportunity other than HS band shows up. Lots of TBERs have started DB later in their life than where you're at right now.

Maybe Ed would've said: We don't know and don't care if you're an idiot or not. Just don't act like one.

14. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Thanks Steve for replacing this in its original context. I luv 'em kids, my elder son is 16...

Back to practice.

15. No problem Sir Lawrence.

I would just amen what you posted. I come from a musical family but didn't "come home" until I was in my late 30s. I also live WWWAAAYYY out in the sticks (we only discovered I Love Lucy was canceled 2 years ago) and it took me the better part of two years to find a teacher--I have a long drive but it is well worth it. I would add one possible source to your list--most moderate sized communities have a symphony-albeit a small one-with a bassist or two. While they may not be interested in taking a full time student, I doubt anyone would refuse to help a young person wanting to learn.

Funky might try

http://www.grifdigital.com/cgi-bin/teachlist/search.cgi

16. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004

im totally with you on that one. my town has a grand population of about 2000 in the summer, and significantly less in the winter. there is one man in this town who plays DB unless you count me who just now started and that guy is gone for winter. but there are no DB teachers anywhere arround here, the school i go to doesnt have a string program unless you count me playing bass guitar in jazz band.
    its one thing to find decent instruments arround here let alone how hard it is to get a teacher.

17. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I live a couple of hours south of Ocala and I sometimes play gigs up that way. I know there are upright players in the area and I'm sure I could help GiveUpTheFunk (or whatever his name is) locate a teacher if he were really interested. Ocala is actually not that small a town.

- Steve

http://kaybass.home.att.net

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Are there any newbie links on Rosin and Bows - I looked, searched and it only seemed to be Basses - and I've been around this site for 7 or 8 years at least!!??

Now wonder people think the DB 'community' is tough on newbies!! ;)

19. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Funky, first change you nick, it doesn't do much for the Double Bass unless it's real real filthy and has a 'funky' smell.

Then Go to the Golf Course and post a notice that you need a teacher for the Bass. There is bound to be some old Bass player retired that needs a night out...

Oh and the Frog, it's not the one in the swamp. It's the Black part that holds the Hair and where you hold the Bow as well.

The Simandl Book I has some pics that will help. Get that Book. If you get half way throught it correctly then you have a chance. If you give up early.. well.. then it's not for you.

BTW, NY and Boston are not the only cities where the Bass is played. There are at least 3 or 4 more!