Rossini bass-cello duet

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by mjt0229, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm thinking of performing the Rossini bass-cello duet later this year. I've been playing from something I found on IMSLP, but I think there may be some wrong notes. Does anyone have a favorite edition of that piece? What do people commonly play from? Apart from the Dragonetti bass-cello duet, are there other pieces for that instrumentation I should look at?

2. Jborg

Jborg

Feb 1, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry I can’t be any help, but heard the Rossini duets for the first time last week. Now I feel like I have a mission to study these. Beautiful music!

3. Alfred Schnittke Hymn for Bass and Cello

mtto and Jborg like this.
  4. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Harald Genzmer Six Bagatelles.

5. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Bukinik Fantasy Op. 11 (on IMSLP)

6. mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Cool, thanks! We performed the Rossini at the end of August and it went pretty well. I played from the Bärenreiter edition, which I found online at a reasonable price. It has some differences from the part on IMSLP, as well as some nice historical notes.

I'll look at some of these other pieces, I'd like to do some more small group playing. It's really great for working on intonation and musicality.

7. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is one of my favorite renditions (3rd movement only):

Joshua, kinnon64 and mjt0229 like this.
  8. mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Awesome. I wish I were that funny. Or had such a nice beard. We might play it again at the orchestra's end of the year fundraiser, so I may borrow a few ideas (I liked when the bassist took some things up an octave, and there are a few other spots where I could maybe copy a cello lick or two).

9. ILIA

ILIA

Jan 27, 2006
    Caprica
    the IMSLP version is rubbish. Get the edition published by Yorke.

10. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022