Rossini Tancredi Overture help

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Tyler_W, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Tyler_W

Jun 15, 2005
    Woodbridge, VA

The wind ensemble class that I'm in at high school is playing the Tancredi Overture, which gets very fast at some points, which concerns me. I dont have a "string bass" part instead I have a part called "Basses" which is divided into octaves at times.

I am concerned with/need help playing:
    *Measures 1 and 4 with the very fast ascending scalular passage
    *Circle 29: getting it up to tempo

so for all of those who have played this wonderful piece, how can I get these sections to work?

2. in general if you see octaves or more than 1 line at a time: 1) if you are the only bassist you play the bottom line 2) if there is more than one bassist, then you divide (divisi in itallian) the parts. in general the 1st bassist plays the top part then it is delegated from there. Usually the rule is if you have an odd # of bass players and 2 lines to play at the same time you have the extra player play the bottom line. in order to practice the scales etc just practice slowly, as smooth and legato as possible, as relaxed as possible, keep a constant contact with the string, keep your bow straight, and slowly bring up the speed. also the rule in fast scales is to shift as little as possible, so plan your shifts as conservative as possible.