1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rotosound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bass player !!, May 6, 2010.

1. bass player !!

bass player !!

May 5, 2010
    Hi, i've just got my bass and i want 2 replace the factory strings. I saw that rotosound make double bass strings aswell. I used rotos for my elctric bass and cant fault them, i was wondering if anyone uses the DB strings they do and what their like etc?

2. I think they have a synthetic core, have low tension, and are mostly used by Bluegrass or Rockabilly players.
    But they're marginal DB strings.
    Maybe you should consider a company that specialize or have more knowledge in DB strings. (just a suggestion, with all due respect)

3. bass player !!

bass player !!

May 5, 2010
    sweet man, would u recommend any? im a complete novice whn it comes to DB

4. Hi.
    Since your profile is empty, we don't have a clue about your setup, the music you play, that kind of thing.

What kind of DB do you have?
    What kind of tone are you seeking?
    Bright and lots of sustain?
    Dark and thumpy?

Playing pizz only?
    Arco only?
    50-50?

More info is necessary to guide you in the right direction.

Best,
    François

5. bass player !!

bass player !!

May 5, 2010
    its an archer (a student brand) as i didnt want to get a really expensive model as im only just started learning and its a side project to my electric bass. i like the folk kinda stuff as well as kinda swing stuff ( think "fever") as well. as for set up i have no idea as i still dont fully understand the instrument. i nearly always play with fingers although i would like 2 learn a bit about bowing at somepoint

6. Do you plan to get a teacher?

Anyway, Corelli strings are very nice hybrid strings (good for pizz and arco work), and are thin and easy to play.
    I'd suggest them to a beginner.
    They're also quite affordable. (well, around $100 a set)
    They're available in two major series: tungsten (370 series) and nickel (380 series).
    The nickels are the least expensive and have a warmer tone than the tungstens.

Hope this helps!

7. bass player !!

bass player !!

May 5, 2010
    yes thanks it does, are they easy to find? and at some point id like to find a teacher but current finances/ lack of teachers in local area is stopping me at the moment

cheers

8. Where are you located?
    Your profile is still empty.

If you're in the US, many online retailers have the Corellis; Bob Gollihur, Quinn Violins, SouthWest Strings, Shar, Lemur Music, etc. etc.

9. bass player !!

bass player !!

May 5, 2010
    i live in southern england

10. Well, some of these retailers are probably shipping to the EU.
    You can also do a search for "violin shops in the UK" on Google to find some places.

11. TPJ

TPJ

May 24, 2007
    Wakefield, UK
    There's a few in the uk. If you google "double bass strings uk" you get some. Don't forget to look at Thomann as well. They can offer some good savings.

Also, have a look at basschat.co.uk in the Double Bass section. There are some helpful chaps there and advise you on everything DB in the uk.

12. bass player !!

bass player !!

May 5, 2010
    Ok thanks for all your help everyone :)

13. Old thread. But the newest to be found, and I didn't want to start a new one.

Yesterday, I went to a Jam here in town, and the house player's bass was strung with something I couldn't recognize. To me it felt like gut, plain D and G, wound E and A. Sounded (and this is a Dominant addict talking) really good and old-school (the room where this took place somehow makes old-school sound more desirable than the more "modern" sound I myself go for, as it cuts through really well and fits the music commonly played there so nicely), played really beautifully. Soft, but not wobbly. Sustain was ok. No real growl, though.
    The bass somehow felt like a race car, or a mystic boost-a-chop device. I mean, it was SO EASY to play great on it. Inspiring, maybe? Made me think for a second, if only I had a second bass I could string with those...

Well, after my three or four songs, I talked to the house bass player, asking him if this were Genssler strings (the latest rage here, at least for a lot of players). And he replied- no, it was Rotosounds.

Go figure.

(I don't think they would fit the bill for what I normally do and want to sound like, but there and then, it felt perfectly right).

Best
    Sidecar

14. If you're looking for something UK made and well priced, I'd look at Innovation strings (made by Picato in Wales). There are various slap/rockabilly strings or the Honeys could be a reasonable hybrid set.

15. I'd rather try the Silver Slaps or Golden Slaps or for hybrid use the Braided from Innovation. Or mix the Braided A and E with Super Silvers D and G to get metal wound on bottom and synthetic wound on top like the Rotosounds.

16. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I like the rotos but I've always felt that the E and A had too much tension. If they were all like the D, I would play rotos forever.