1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rotosounds Before and After A/B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Birdland11, Jul 19, 2012.

1. I thought it would be interesting/helpful to some of you if I did a string change video with before and after examples. I know alot of people hate these strings, they have their cons for sure [too bright, too buzzy, they feel weird, etc], but for pure sound, these things are hard to beat! Enjoy!

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Awesome post, thanks for sharing. The growl is still present on the old set!

I finally tried a set of Roto 66 on my Fender P/J after years of fearing to do so due to "rough feel, fret killing," etc. I like them better than anything else I've tried. I've had the set on for about nine months as well, but I feel the sound is even better once the zing has gone away.

I'll be playing this set until intonation goes out - thanks for the confirmation!

3. moebass

moebass

Jan 4, 2011
    wyoming
    I agree rotos sound best when broken in. Although I think that to be true with most strings. Rotos take a bit longer to break in. I change strings about every 3 or 4 months.

4. I love them. They will eat your frets up a little but....

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Diamond's on the soles of her shoes!

NIIIIICE!

6. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    I need to try Rotos again someday!

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    They both sound great.

Rotos have that "low purr" in the sound after they break in that no other string has.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I love Rotos. I tend to like them brand new though.

Well, I should say 1 gig in. Usually the 2nd gig with a new set they are prime.

9. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    9 months old strings still sound very good IMHO

10. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    NSW, Australia
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Awesome! I am currently waiting on my first set of Roto 66's in the post, figure I'd give 'em a go. I also like how you DI'ed straight into the camera, no amp coloration.

11. You will be happy with them!

12. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    The Roto 66 Nickels that Jason has are excellent. They have a nicer feel and still have that Roto punch. Get the ones with the blue silk at both ends. I have these on a Squier VM jazz and they rock. Roll the tone back. A little and boom!

13. Im not crazy about the nickel. I tried them once, and i didnt notice any difference between those and regular strings

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Excellent strings and what I used for most of my playing life.

15. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Very nice.... I like the 66 stainless steels... but love the nickels. They feel and play a bit sweeter/softer.

16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Sounds good, a really good comparison! I have never been able to get a set to sound that good after 9 months, the E's always sound too dead to me. I was a Hi Beam player forever, then I tried Fat Beams and have not looked back. I do from time to time put on a set of Roto 66's on my Jazz and it really rocks, love the sound when I use a pick. My Stingray though always get DR's, a little smoother growl and a bit more thump that than the Rotos.

17. I dont love the fat beams too much, although they sounded good for a while. They just didnt hold up against the salt air too well.

18. That's great! I love my Roto 66's. I've used them for years. (Big Geddy Fan!) I've always wanted to do a fret wear contest between these and DR's. I think Roto's get a bad rap sometimes.
    Brent

19. Nah they eat up the frets a little more, but they are still great all around heavy use strings.