1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

round midnight

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by fdbass, Mar 1, 2008.

1. fdbass

fdbass

Mar 1, 2008
    Hi,

What is the most commonly played version of Round Midnight? I've always found the changes people play on this tune varry so widely and the real book is WRONG. it' definately a tune you have to know but everyone plays it different!

2. dblbss

dblbss

Sep 20, 2007
    Canada
    You are right about the fake book changes. I think they are from Miles record "round midnight". The story is Monk told Miles he played his song wrong.

If you want the Monk changes, listen to a solo recording of Monk playing the tune and if you have trouble lifting, follow the root movement.

The 1st bar is Eb min, Eb min/D, Eb min/Db(for 2 beats). The mile recording is different from that.

3. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    The Real Book version of that tune is so absolutely wrong it is beyond belief. It's not based on the Mile's version either, it' just wrong. Miles's version is a bit different. For example, Miles uses pedal points on some of the walk downs Monk uses as dblbass mentions, but the most important thing about the Real Book is the ending to the second and final A section. It should resolve to Eb major, not minor.

Personally, I think the standard changes should be Monk's version, he wrote the thing, but like the bridge to "Well You Needn't", Miles' is fine.

4. dblbss

dblbss

Sep 20, 2007
    Canada
    Yeah I wasn't totally sure where it was from, just assumed but going back and listening to the record, you are right.

Try not to rely to much on the fake book. It is well worth the hard work of working it out for yourself.

Lift the melody and map out the root movement and you will be well on your way.