1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Routing jig for access slot to truss nut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jazzmonkey, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    Hey folks,

Could someone please show some pics of a jig they have built, or perhaps just give some advice on how to build one? I'm a woodworking rookie trying to save a buck routing my RW p bass.

Thanks,
    Rex

2. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I think I saw mention of drilling a hole into the body where you want the end of the slot to be, then routing a straight line to the hole. Or maybe from the hole.

3. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    I just lay out the center line and where the ends of the slot should be with a pencil. Then use a router with an edge guide to route the slot before the neck is tapered. The micro adjust on this one helps to get it as close to center as possible regardless of the width of the neck blank. I've used that for the Martin style truss rods and hot rods from Stewmac.

Porter-Cable Micro-adjust Edge Guides - Rockler Woodworking Tools

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Are you asking about a Fender style back route with the curved depth?

5. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    Thanks folks.

I wasn't actually planning on routing a neck for installing a truss rod. I just wanted to route and access slot in the body where the heel of the neck meets the pocket. I have a Roadworn P bass that I wanted to route the slot. I do my adjustments under tuning tension, and although the stock neck is super stable and hasn't needed an adjustment in 9 months, I was planning on switching necks to a jazz style, so I wanted to be able to access with the neck on the body.