1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rumble 500 combo - chain to Rumble 200 instead of using 115 extension?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigLakeBass, Apr 11, 2021.

1. BigLakeBass

BigLakeBass Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2021
    Ideally, I would prefer a 15 inch speaker for practice and small gigs and 500 watts for larger rooms or outdoor gigs. So, I'm considering a Rumble 200v3 and a Rumble 500v3 with 115 or 210 extension.

But how about using the Rumble 200 as the extension? By running the 500 effects out to the 200 effects in, or the other way around.

Pluses:
    - Total cost: $1,100 vs. $1,400-$1,500.
    - Same total power: 360W + 140W vs 500W.
    - I'll have a backup amp.

Minuses:
    - I could just pass on the 200 and use the 500 for practice and all rooms. That makes the total cost $1,100 vs. $900-$1000.

Something tells me that if chaining was a good idea, someone would have thought of it already. I don't see the flaw in this plan though. Do you?

CallMeAl likes this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Oh you can definitely do it. I ran 2 100s together that way. There’s a member that runs 2 500s together. (Maybe it was @Steadfast ?) @GonePlaid has run a 200+100. And maybe @G-Dog knows of someone running a 500+200 rig?

I don’t know for sure, just speculating, but I would guess a major con could be running the rig at high volumes, and the 200 being strained while the 500 is playing comfortably.

The main pro of my 2x100s was leaving one at rehearsal, and one at home, which is where they stayed most of the time. Very convenient.

If I were you I’d probably get either the 115 cab, or another 500. But that’s me. Good luck!

Steadfast likes this.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It works well but I would link them together with a pedal like a chorus, A/B box or Sansamp so you can make use of both the combo's pre-amps. That way you can relieve some stress from the 200 watt amp if things get loud. With a Sansamp you can send some overdrive to the second amp two while keep the 500 nice, clean and fat. Good chorus pedals (like the TCE) have one input and two outputs because chorus sounds better in stereo. That's how Jeff Berlin linked his two Markbass combos live.

CallMeAl likes this.
  4. BigLakeBass

BigLakeBass Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2021
    Thank you both for your replies. I had just assumed that the master volume control came after the effects send/return so I could set each amp independently. Looking at the block diagram, I see that is not the case.

CallMeAl and jeff7bass like this.
  5. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Oh, yeah, someone has thought of it. And it's a frequent topic of conversation in the Fender Rumble Club, too. No flaw in your plan that I can see. :D

Chaining 2 unequal Rumbles together doesn't strain either one. The primary, using FX Send, completely controls the secondary, using FX Return. So, they both run at the same percent of their respective powers. ;)

Wrong assumption. Correct reading of the block diagram. :thumbsup: A splitter or pedal is needed to set each Rumble combo independently. Other makes and models may behave differently.

I've think you've got the full picture now, Lakey. It basically just comes down to personal preference. A combo + extension cab versus 2 combos (which can also add ext. cabs if desired)? [(There's also the Rumble 800 HD head which can power up to four 8 ohm cabs, but that's another rabbit trail.)] Whichever Rumble(s) you choose, come show us a pic in the Fender Rumble Club for a free membership and keys to the assembked Rumble wisdom and knowledge. :cool:

BBassBassington and CallMeAl like this.
  6. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    yep. Twin 500 rumbles are sweeeeet. I left them at my mountain cabin since I will be playing a lot of gigs up there this summer. I have my acoustic 360 rig here at my home studio (Savannah) and two Mackie powered 12” speakers. My main gig here is supported by a full FOH system. So, I don’t need them here. Plus the Rumbles are faaaar faar far more portable for mountain terrain!

7. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Good to know! :thumbsup:

G-Dog likes this.
  8. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    Just for what it’s worth: I tried my twin rumble 500 in many configurations. Including: a splitter and both being powered by my Acoustic 360 head.

None of my scenarios were worthy except the twins stacked and chained together. Chained and stacked together there is a coupling effect that is glorious and monstrous!

after chaining I literally cannot stand playing through one of my combos by itself. They sound anemic alone.... that being the 500 twin speakers. I am sure the 100 and 200 sound better alone with the 15 speaker. But, together it really is superb.

Pulverizor and G-Dog like this.
  9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    When chaining two combos together, you need two power cords and two outlets.
    Sometimes that becomes an actual barrier that you aren't faced to contend with when adding an extension cabinet.

BBassBassington and Steadfast like this.
  10. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    True. The only reason I have two combos was because I found one for sale around $250. The funny thing is my original combo is non functioning now except through the effects loop. So, I got blessed by finding one so cheap and can still use them both.

11. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Hey, Steadly, it's possible that the switch cutting off the preamp in the FX Return jack has gotten stuck closed on that combo. You might try "exercising" it by running a 1/4" plug in & out several times, perhaps even with a light spray of deoxit, to loosen it up. It has helped others.

BBassBassington and Steadfast like this.
  12. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    The easy way to achieve this by connecting a Split Y Cable between the two .

13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    How much current does each amp draw?
    I used to run a PA with 2 1500watt power amps on 3 30 amp circuits. This gave us enough current to run the rest of the gear
    (Except lights).

14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
  15. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I asked a similar question a few days ago, and then tried it out myself after being reassured that running the two different amps linked wouldn’t overpower the smaller one (I have a 500 and 100). Sounded great! I ended up only taking the 500 to my new band audition today, and it was plenty by itself, so now have to decide if i’m going to stick with the 100 as an extension or get a 2x10 cab for the full 500 watts for once we start gigs in June.

BBassBassington and G-Dog like this.
  16. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Interesting thread, everywhere I go on line people are saying how great the 500 is. But I find it a bit anemic as well. I'm dying to try the 210 extension but I have this feeling that something is up at Fender...V4? So, with only one gig in April, I'm holding tight for now. But we start in earnest with weekly gigs on May 1st so Fender better hurry up!

17. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    Ughhh
    I went down to my studio to try it out.... then I realized my amps are six hours away at my cabin! Duh!!!

G-Dog and Pulverizor like this.
  18. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Labour/supply shortages according to a Manager at Long and McQuade. They've been having trouble getting people and/or supplies consistently throughout the pandemic and it's caused massive production issues.

I'm not counting out some Rumble updates, they've done a lot of other updates this year. But the real issue for them right now is they just can't make enough stuff to fulfill demand.

juancaminos likes this.
  19. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    Check this out. Two pics from behind my Savannah studio and my Blue Ridge Mountain studio:

0DB7035B-DDFF-4B09-8167-DCA07A1CED56.jpeg C851FAB1-B408-4858-B07F-A9B50868C4E0.jpeg

I know it is unrelated. But they just popped up in my feed.

musicman556 likes this.
  20. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021