Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

running 2 combos together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I want to run my peavey TNT with my buddie's peavey TKO..

How would I go about doing this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something to do with the effects loop, right?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It depends on what you want to do. If you want just twice the power, a simple Y cable from your bass to the input of each will do (you can then set them up however you like).

If you want to use the preamp from one to drive both power amps, you will need to run the preamp out of one into the power amp in of the other. That way, you have the one preamp driving both power amps and speakers.

You may be able to run the effects loop send of one into the effects loop return of the other for a similar effect, but im not sure if this is ideal.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I'm thinkin TNT's send to TKO's input should be fine...

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Should work fine.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup should be good..................besides you'll look as cool as those guitar players withthe double marshall half stacks :cool:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    everyone keeps saying it "should" be alright.....no one wants to step up and say "yep, it will work"?? :)

-Mike

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I dont think you can send the effects send output to the instrument input of another amp, the levels wont be right. If you want two separate preamp sections you will need a Y cable. If you just want one, then the preamp out to poweramp in method will work.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    It worked...

Bass--->TNT---> TNT's FX loop *send*-------->TKO's FX loop *return*

simple as that.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I would use a "Y" cable, I did that with my two little practice amps. One guitar practice amp and a bass practice amp, but I only did that for guitar.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    what is a y cable?

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its a cable which has a male 1/4 inch plug at one end, and two at the other end. It looks like a "Y". This way you can plug the output of your bass to the input of both amps simultaneously. That way you could, for example, have one running distortion and the other amp clean.