1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Running Three SVT's w/Three 8x10 cabs together

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve Bernal, Feb 12, 2018.

1. IMG_2076.JPG Hi everyone,
    I'm trying a new, fun and crazy thing with gear right now, and hope that some of you may have some insight to the possibilities and technical requirements for running three SVT's and matching cabs together. Thanks!

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Everything is bigger in Texas.

3. As long as they're all plugged into one 810 each... afaik... all you'd need is like a mini splitter. . or li'l mixing desk or the like to send your bass' signal evenly to each amp.
    I've never done this ... so hopefully someone who has, or knows more than I, will chime in

Steve Bernal likes this.
  4. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Bass into 1 head,slave the other 2 off it in a chain,each head to a cab .

Lammchop93, ExaltBass, REMBO and 17 others like this.
  5. Right on, thanks man!

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    When combining different models, be sure that one oft hem isn't acoustically out of phase. This can happen, for example, when switching the eq on and off (if it's of the inverting type and isn't internally corrected).

Best way is to use one preamp and feed the other power amp inputs... you may need a transformer 1 x 2 (minimum) isolated splitter so that you can lift the signal ground from the chassis ground safely.

7. Thank you, man!

8. Indeed, thank you. In the pic, the outer two are true SVT's, the middle amp is the solid state 450. Do you think this can work effectively?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    One svt will run 2 810 cabs
    And I would realistically start there

When playing on the road I didn't really have enough room on the trailer to add a third cab. Wanted too, but couldnt

Already had 2nd amp to run it. But likewise had reliability issues with both heads.

If you successfully haul around 3 svt heads and dont end up broke and hairless with break downs and tech cost. More power too you.

One head running 2 cabs is definitely a glorious sound and lots overhead.

Use the preamp out of one head this signal is post master volume. Then plug into power amp input of the other amp.

Using the power amp input disconnects the preamp of that head and the tone controls and master volume will control the second head as well essentially just making it a slave power amp

Winoman, 70spbase, bobyoung53 and 3 others like this.
  10. Thank you very much, BogeyBass, I understand the two cab, one amp scenario, but this is a new dimension that I have an opportunity to explore, and I'm in unfamiliar territory here. I appreciate all the advice conveyed so far very much!

I'm a lucky bastard, and will probably get to do some large gigs soon with this monster, and just want to maximize tone capabilities, not just volume. I don't have a dedicated tech yet, but when I meet the right candidate I want to be as informed as possible on this matter.

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing more from our colleagues.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. Well,

1) Don't look for Birthday Presents from your FOH engineer, or

2) Running 3x3 like that . . . . . who NEEDS a FOH engineer. . . . .

dbsfgyd1, wintremute, Geri O and 4 others like this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It might work fine, but you need to be sure that the acoustic polarity is the same.

When you add the second amp/cab combination, you should hear a deeper bass. If it gets thinner, you have polarity issues.

I would also double-check that the cabinets are properly wired and the speakers are all good.

13. All 24 speakers are checked and in normal operation. I will, indeed, be alert for any possible polarity issues. Thanks, man!

agedhorse and Pbassmanca like this.
  14. Ha! I dig, believe me, my friend! This rig will be on a summer festival circuit with my band this year, and I may share it with other players. That's just one reason I want it to be 100%, and I get to play with and learn about a killer rig like I've never had the opportunity to dig into before. I love what I do, and this might make it even more fun.

15. Obviously Steve, you've got roadies, etc., and you're not fighting these beasts alone, but . . . . . . . you might, before you hit the road, try the SVT as God Intended: One head pushing two cabs, just the best. Plus . . . . . you'd have spares.

16. God did, it seems, intend just that, my friend. But, here's another element to the quandary: I have worked with a couple of techs thus far in my little career. I'm currently lucky enough to be availed to another level of work for myself, and therefore another colleague. Also, when traveling with the SVT situation, I always still share in the lifting.
    Anyway, my curiosity is driving me to a thing I've never done before. So, I wanna know if it's possible. I think it might be, but that train of thinking has brought upon my pursuits in the past its own set of problems. Of which, my friend, I believe there is a solution.

17. mattwear

mattwear

Aug 7, 2006
    Wellington, NZ
    You could try running overdrive and other effects onto one of the rigs leaving the others dry. Or split the pickups Rick-o-Sound style.

18. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    We still can't hear you.

19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Steve is going to do it. He's going to just say the hell with it, it's time for a wet-dry-wet three-amp setup. Those two SVTs are going to be getting the stereo outs from the 2290, Quadraverb, Eventide and maybe even an SPX90. The 450 is going to be the dry tone.

Steve is going to rock out, is what I'm saying.

(Translation: oh how I would love to get pants-flapped by that rig!)

Steve Bernal likes this.
  20. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I like the symmetry of the setup! :D