1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running two combos at same time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tboheir, Apr 17, 2010.

1. tboheir

tboheir

Apr 16, 2010
    Lilburn, GA
    Hey, I was just sitting here thinking and can't find an answer searching thru other posts, but is it possible to run two combos say two B100R's or something at the same time by running from the line out/direct out of the amp the bass is running into, to the input passive or active input, on the second amp? Would that damage anything?

2. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    You would run your bass into one of the combos, then go from the Effects Send of that combos into the Effect Return of the other.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I believe (experts please jump in!!) that line out to input would have you using 2 preamps. I think that you would want to go to effects in on the second amp and just use the power amp on the second. If you want to use both preamps then you might look at a splitter like a Morley A/B

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MLYABY

4. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Alright, I'll admit it, sure I have. :ninja:

I can't imagine anyone who's played bass for any length of time that hasn't done this, especially when we were young, broke, and looking for volume any way we could.

Even if it meant stringing together two or even three combos together just to get some VOLUME! But I'm not saying it sounded good.

There are many, MANY different ways to do this, some good ways, and some so improper I'm not sure I want to even admit knowing about it. :bag:

The proper ways would include plugging into "combo a", and running a line out to "combo b".

You can also use a splitter.

You can also ::cough:: just plug another chord into the low impedance jack of "combo a" and run that into the input of "combo b" ::cough:: ::cough::

Anyway, running multiple combos could be okay, but more often than not it could just muck up the sound.

Good luck. :bassist:

5. Solace249

Solace249

Jun 11, 2008
    NC
    Two B-100R's would be amazing, i love mine, works anywhere for anything =P

6. if i ran 2 amps like that i'm have alot of fun running one as clean and the other for effects. have overdrive without losing your bottom end.

7. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I just bought a used Radial BigShot ABY to run 2 amps (or 2 basses) for about $50.

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Probably the best way to do it! Radial's gear does not mess with your tone one bit.

I highly suggest not buying another BRAND NEW combo amp to do this - if you somehow can get the same combo amp for really cheap or already have one, go wild! If you need more volume than one combo can do, the best bet is to sell the combo (or keep it for practice) and buy a separate cab and amp head.

9. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I did this years ago when I had my old Fender BXR 100 combo and my SWR Workingman's 12. I stacked the two and then used the TUNER out from the SWR to feed the Fender. A 'poor college student's BI-AMP' solution. haha. The signal was fine and you don't run the risk of touching any additional power/preamps or other funky levels. The tuner out is supposed to be the same signal as if you plugged straight into the bass, in most cases. Hence why I did it. Both amps are still kicking and I never had any adverse effects. The better way, as already suggested, would be to get an A/B box that allows you to split the signal to both amps at the same time.

10. JMonta

JMonta

Sep 4, 2009
    I did something like this yesterday actually hahha:bag: , (just found a splitter lost there for years in my house), Y plug it in to my bass and sent the signal to my Fender rumble 25, and to a Palmer MB 10watt mini amp (just to get different tones of treble)...
    haha just experimenting :)

11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    One of my favorite things to do when practicing alone is to set up two combos on opposite sides of the room and split the signal with a DD-7, running the affected signal to one amp and the unaffected signal into the other. This lets me play against myself using various (mostly long) delays or loops. For extra fun, I'll put other effects in line to one amp (but not the other) -- sometimes in the affected line and sometimes in the other. This is a great way to turn the notorious bottom-suck problem of many effects into an advantage by creating tonal differences between the two parts. In fact, I like to tweak things to enhance the bottom-suck, so I'm in guitar tonal range on one side and bass on the other.

The main problem I ran into when I started experimenting with this was the ground-loop hum that's commonly created when two amps are connected to each other, but I've found two solutions. First, I bought an Ebtech Hum-X, which works exactly as advertised: The hum is completely eliminated when one of the amps is plugged in through the Hum-X. Second, I discovered if the pedal I'm using to split the signal (and that thus connects the amps) is running unplugged on battery power, I don't get the ground loop. (At least, this works when I use a Sansamp BDDI to split the signal; I haven't actually tried it with the DD-7, though I presume it would have the same effect.)

Speaking of the BDDI, I've also been experimenting with using this to split my signal into an Ampeg B50R stacked on top of a B100R. If you're interested, I reported on those results here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9097242#post9097242

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I like the thought of running two B-100's together.

13. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i used too all the time. never really sounded good, i switched between the direct out-->input, effects send-->effects return, line out--> input, it never sounded nice.

probably cause i was using an ampeg 2X10, and a GK 112.

14. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I did something similar to use one amp for a clean loop and one for distorted solo lines. I ended up using a Morley A B A/B pedal. It did a nice job although the Radial may be less expensive. Either one could give you the desired effect, especially since you are just looking to double your volume. It's a fun process. Best of luck.

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm sure that would be great too, but the 50/100 combination really expands the tonal range; they complement each other wonderfully.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the tuner out from amp a to the front input of amp b is my favorite method if you want to use both preamps independently

the effects send or amp a to the effects return of amp b will have you using just the preamp and eq of amp a but the master volume of each amp will be independent. (this only works if the effects send of a is post eq and the return of b is on another amp with a post eq effects send.

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'd really like to check out 2 Roland DB500's together!