1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rus-Oleum Specialty Lacquer finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by skinrughailey, Oct 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. skinrughailey

skinrughailey

May 26, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Okay, yes I know it is not a GREAT and professional idea to use Rust-Oleum Specialty Lacquer as a finish for an otherwise very nice 2003 American Standard P Bass, but let's skip that lecture because it's what I'm already using, and I'm not removing it and starting over.

I am currently in the process of refinishing my bass guitar. It was kind of a sudden idea that turned into a major project. I wanted to change my bass up a bit (I've had it for 14 years unchanged (except for changing out the pickguard occasionally).

This is what it looked like before I started:

Zr5xERs.

I ordered all new gold hardware (for looks), and some Dimarzio pickups (to improve my midrange sound). Then I got to thinking, "Well, why don't I try to refinish the body while I'm at it". I thought it might be kind of "zen" to work on something like that. I've never done any kind of wood-working before.

So I stripped that old red paint off and went to it! I wanted basically the same color, but with some wood grain showing. So I used Keda wood dye to achieve the color...

...anyway, I'm using this lacquer and I'm really just curious if anyone else has used it before and how it turned out, and if you think it affected/will affect the tone of the bass, or really anything you think about it.

I've just added what I'm hoping will be the last coat, then when it fully dries I'll buff and polish. Here's some pics of the latest progress:

20171024_001716. 20171024_001738.

Tbone76 likes this.
  2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I used it on the bass in my profile pic. It goes on easy, dries sufficiently hard, and polished nicely.

It's not as glass-hard as some others, but it's not bad. I ended up using 2 cans on the blue bass.

Also...sup local!

skinrughailey likes this.