Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush's 1st Live DVD released!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jim T., Oct 19, 2003.

1. Has anyone seen this yet? "Live in Rio"? Opinions? Are there many close up scenes of Geddy's playing? (How could there not be?)

2. A radio station here just played almost all of the entire CD set, 90 minutes straight of Rush! It was great, they played everything and they did it well. I haven't seen the DVD but I know it's gonna be some good stuff!

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I thought it wouldn't be out until sometime in November..

:confused:

Regardless, I'll definitely be snagging a copy of it!!

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    When was it recorded?

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    A movie theater near me is showing it tonight - one time only (or so they say).

6. I believe it was last year. I'm gonna snag a copy this weekend...too bad I can't go today...:bawl: But when I go to get it, I'm gonna pick up the new Primus DVD too. :smug:

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Multi-angle viewing options on “La Villa Strangiato” and “YYZ” (Alex, Geddy, or Neil angle in addition to the original cut), plus two alternate angle shots on “O Baterista.”

now what's the point of preordering it from rush.com when I could walk in to BestBuy and get it quicker?!!! where's me DVD, yo?!

here's the details:
    rush in rio press release

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    by the way, somebody just gave me a bootleg CD set, and it appears to follow the DVD tracklist exactly.

the new drum solo is...
    well...
    wow.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Best Buy has the DVD and CD in a two for $35 set. Anybody selling it for less than that?

10. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I watched the first three songs from the DVD. They're up to their usual high standards. I just want to know what is up with Geddy's tone? Definitely NOT an improvement. VERY twangy, almost sounds like he's slapping everything while playing guitar in a country band. What does everyone else think?

Chris

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    sounds kinda DI'ish, a little.
    Awesome DVD so far.
    I made it all the way to the drum solo!
    bed time...

12. I picked it up at Borders books store for $19.99

The video looks great but I am a little disapointed buy the audio. A little to muddy for me.

To be a critic . . . Dolby 5.1: the audience was a little to high in the rears, the center, sub, and front channels seemed to muddy. I couldn't realy hear any clarity between the instruments.

In Stereo it was a little better but now the audience is in the front channels and add to the mud.

All and all the video quality was great except for the effects going from musician to musician.

I have seen much better.

13. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I just bought the DVD at Specs, it was on sale for
    $19.99 with a $5 mail in rebate. I got the live
    CD yesterday for my B-Day, listened to Disc 1 last
    night. Sounds really good, cant wait to get home
    & watch the DVD.

14. †ê§† ƒør €chø

†ê§† ƒør €chø

Jul 26, 2003
    this DVD is awesome. i have watched the entire 2 hour and 45 minute set twice now and watched a few songs a few more times on their own. there are some excellent close-ups of geddy's playing, most notably on the songs "yyz" and "la villa strangiato" where you can choose to watch ONLY geddy. some other awesome moments are during the end of "leave that thing alone" where geddy shreds it up in his inimitable, improv style as well as the solo section for "freewill" where he demonstrates his lightning fast chops, throwing in riffs that blow the studio version away. geddy is, without a doubt, at the peak of his ability. he keeps getting better as he constantly challenges himself by expanding on his earlier technique, taking his playing to a whole new level. he's still playing the bass unlike ANYONE; even the Geddy Lee of a few years ago!! he's furiously strumming 2 and 3 note chords all over the latest CD Vapor Trails and this DVD provides a great visual demonstration of his new style. i implore all rock bassists to get this DVD and sit back and soak up the truly unique genius that is Geddy Lee.
    now, having said all that, i have to agree that his tone is somewhat lacking as another user pointed out. i think it's the fender jazz. i HATE that he's been playing the fender jazz for the last ten years. his best sound in my opinion was with the WAL. it vexes me that one of the greatest bassists on earth chooses to play the most antiquated bass there is. sounds horrible. i hate fenders. i pray daily that Geddy a] goes back to the WAL ( or gets a Nordstrand ) and b] does another solo CD.
    :)

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I listened to a couple of songs & I think the bass sounds GREAT!!!!!! The energy is there. I can't wait to watch the whole thing from start to finish.

16. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I also like the tone that Geddy is getting.

The Boys in Rio from the 2nd DVD was worth the price of the DVD alone. It's really cool to hear the thoughts on the tour from the band themselves, and watching "the professor" do his warm up before the show was awesome.

17. Thanks guys! ('n' gals?). I just purchased the CD and DVD both for $35 deal from Best Buy (thanks for that tip!) I'll be watching it sometime between tonight and Sat. I'll get back to you all with my own humble opinion(s). I've never managed to be able to get to a Rush show and now I'll FINALLY get to see Geddy's chops in action! Jim

18. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    There was a one time showing in selected theaters throughout the US on the release date, Oct21. I saw it at the theates on the big screen, the sound was awesome. Loud and clear. That was the best way to view it. It was great. Some serious "Geddy" tone on this. This is a must have if your into Rush.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    beware the shrimp cots!!

20. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Laaady! Stop with the hitting!