Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

s-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by doublemuff216, Jun 8, 2005.

1. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    Anyone know how i could wire an s-1 type switch into my custom? I'd imagine the circuitry is a bit complicated but my friend is an electrical engineer.
    thanks,
    Bob :help:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You just use any regular DPDT switch, either standalone or on (say) your volume pot.
    If you look at the FAQ stickied at the top of the forum, you'll see links to series/parallel switching threads

3. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    thank you! :)

4. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
  5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The tone works in series and in parallel. The reason I put the push/pull on the tone knob is that when pushing and pulling, it's easy to rotate the pot a little bit. A little change on the tone knob won't change things much. A little change on a volume pot can be drastic. Plus, if the knob is pulled it can accidentally be pushed back down if it's closer to your hands, so I put it furthest from the hands.

6. Here is how mine is wired.
    You can click on it to enlarge it or right click on it and click on "Save Picture as" and save a copy to your desktop or wherever.

7. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    wo i must be slow!!!! i dont understand anyof that but the other link i posted of Lyle Caldwells wiring diagram i totally understand, but o well ill just do Lyles way!!!

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well if you're using the S-1, it's more complicated than the DPDT I show in my diagram. Check out Fender's diagrams at mrgearhead.com and you'll find some with the S-1 doing series/parallel.

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
  10. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i really like your method...i might use that but i'm eliminating the tone... and putting in a kill switch...switches are fun :) maybe i'll eliminate the kill ...i dont know...it won't have a control plate because im making a custom pickguard...this leaves room for drilling as many holes as i desire

11. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i did this one on my fretless jazz and now i have close to a p bass sound and a jazz bass sound, i like this one better becuse i also like switches!!! http://www.lordgoogle.com/bass/s1_mod/