Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sad News- Funeral for a Friend

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Whit Townsend, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Just got back from the luthiers with my old 51 C-1.
    Brought her back home th same day with sad news.
    It seems she's just too far gone.
    I kind of halfway expected it, but was hoping for the best.
    The plys have delaminated underneath the bass bar.
    The bass bar has fallen under the back half of the body, and has approx 1/2 of the plys of the top still attached to it.
    My guy was unwilling to tackle restoring the top.
    Said he would put on a new top, but that'd be 600-700, and I said whats the use, might as well buy a new one and get new back, sides and neck if I was gonna have to put a new top on this one. Plus, the delamination problem will likely continue with the back and sides. Its allready chipped up pretty bad.
    Determined was just not gonna be worth sinking the money into her.
    I'm gonna keep playing her till she becomes completly unplayable while saving for a new plywood bass.

Guess she'll have to become a wall hanger at some point, soon as I can save up.
    Goodby old girl, you served me well for 13 years.

2. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Ouch--sorry to hear that.

Set the bass on fire and float it out to sea, like a viking chieftan!

3. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    or take the top off and use it as a rowboat. what a picture!

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    My question is, where in the heck did you find a DB luthier in Dothan? (I'm from Dothan myself...).

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Too bad, Whit...I hope you find something that will let you progress.

PB...I love that idea, given my background. I would seriously consider doing that!

6. mchildree,
    Mack McCormick, of McCormick Guitars & Repair, up in Columbus GA. A general purpose luthier, but an experienced one.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Amazing. I know Mac well, he does all my guitar work. I live in the Phenix City/Columbus area now. Let me know when you're coming back through!

8. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    "Ebay: Vintage Czech Stradivarius Bass restoration project. Solid slow-grown plywood top, genuine aged finish. Minor repairs needed. Suit beginner or advanced bassplayer migrating from electric bass. This is your opportunity to get a great classic bass at a great, low price. Starting bid $3000 Buy it NOW!"

or ... maybe this is the time to try out all those whacky and not so whacky ideas such as extra sound ports, vacuum pressed epoxy repairs, kevlar, no tailpiece, cutting the wings off the bridge ...

9. Heck, just use the old top as a mold, and lay up a new carbon fibre top for it! That'd be a fun project, and probably not all that hard!