1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Sadowsky Metro RV4 in Lake Placid Blue, Just PLEK'd, Just Dinged

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by subtlestew, Nov 21, 2017.

1. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Price:
    $1600
    Strings:
    No trades!

Now that that's out of the way...

Greetings, bass shoppers! This is a small-body Sadowsky Metro RV4 in Lake Placid Blue. It's a 2008. It's got some plusses and minuses that, when added up, make it a good deal for someone who wants a great-playing instrument at a great price. Here's the story:

THE GOOD:

When I got the bass (used last year for $1750 shipped, with soft Sadowsky-branded case) it was fun to play because of its amazing neck. I've owned a lot of basses, including another Sadowsky, and this is one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played. It also had the tones I was looking for from a Sadowsky, of course. It sounds fantastic. Disappointingly, though, the fretwork was not great - there was buzzing high on the neck, as well as a bit of a "ski jump" effect in the high frets, and the action, therefore, could not go very low. I have long been intrigued by the PLEK process, having read about it on TB, and I wanted the perfect fretwork that the process provides. So, I spent $275 having the bass PLEK'd at Peekamoose Guitars in New York City. It came out of that process a much better player, as the action can be slammed as low as anyone would want now, and there is no buzzing up high. It plays best with the TI flats (for which I paid $75) that I had Peekamoose install, as that's what I play, and the set-up (done by them) is optimized for those strings. I also installed a set of straplocks and bought a Sadowsky-stamped brown leather strap from Roger ($75) that looks beautiful on the bass.

Well, GAS soon struck, as it does, and I decided I could really use a nice 5-string. So I was about to include the bass in a trade recently for one when something happened...

THE BAD:

So, I was packing it up to ship it, and I set it on a shelf in the open case. I turned away, and the case and the bass fell off the shelf, and the bass hit an open drawer. It suffered a nasty ding on the top/back of the body.

I immediately contacted the trader I was dealing with and showed him the pictures, and, as I expected, the deal was off. This was bad for me, as my trade died... but it means I'm offering this bass up for a lot less than I have into it. The bass also had a couple of minor imperfections that seemed to be under the clear coat when I got it... so it's not a beauty queen. But the neck and the playability are off the chart, and the sound is all Sadowsky.

I've got $2175 into this bass. I'll ship it with the Sadowsky-branded case, TI flats installed, and the strap & locks (plus the original strap buttons.) I'm letting it go for $1600 shipped CONUS because I got the 5-string deal I've been looking for. Therefore, again, I'm not interested in trades.

Pre-Ding Pix (these best represent the color):

0012. 0013. 0014. 0015. 0016.

Post-Ding Pix (with strap):

WIN_20171121_13_13_00_Pro. WIN_20171121_13_13_48_Pro. WIN_20171121_13_14_05_Pro. 20170624_152416581_iOS. 20170624_152436852_iOS.

PayPal accepted. I'll knock $100 off for local pick-up here in NW Connecticut.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I owned this bass for a short period of time and this is one of the better sounding Sadowsky’s I have played! Bump for a great price on a great bass! The ding don’t look too bad. People pay extra for that kinda wear and tear these days

3. How much does it weigh?

4. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Always forget to include that fact...

She's 9 lbs., 9 oz.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Please tell me about the electronics package.......

6. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Sure!

Electronics are:

Volume
    Pan
    VTC
    Treble/Bass (stacked knobs)

VTC=Vintage Tone Control (pull up for total bypass, i.e. passive mode).

This is the standard Sadowsky set-up, and it's wonderful. VTC is particularly cool - it's like the tone knob on an old Fender, and it functions in conjunction with the great-sounding preamp, allowing for easy and great-sounding flexibility. It's much praised by players, including numerous TB members. Look it up and you'll see much praise!

ebozzz likes this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Slightly heavy for me, but that ding wouldn't put me off. The last active 4 string jazz I liked was a Sadowsky RV4 in sea foam green. Pretty tempting. These are great sounding basses. People still ask about mine from many years ago.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    subtlestew likes this.
  8. TLicksBass

TLicksBass

Mar 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think the ding gives it character!

subtlestew likes this.
  9. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    What are the woods?

Body: ash or alder?

Fingerboard; rosewood or pao ferro?

Trades?

Thanks!

10. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    @droskobass, RV Metros are alder/rosewood and MV are ash/maple. So this one is alder/rosewood.

Can't do a trade, sorry. Already bought the bass replacing this one!

11. jpeck02

jpeck02 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    You need to come up with a better story on how that ding occurred!

BillFurlong and subtlestew like this.
  12. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Yea... I wish I could say that I'd hit the drummer over the head with it, but...

:)

13. Reverend04

Reverend04 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Interested and will pm tonight

14. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    who bought this and will you sell it to me?:bassist::thumbsup:

15. Reverend04

Reverend04 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2017