Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Metros

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    The Metros don't have the chambered body or the rods in the neck....does this hurt the quality of the bass?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

No their still great basses but those 2 features just make the whole thing sweeter in my opinion.

3. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal

Sorry for my ignorance...but what is "rods in the neck"?

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Graphite spars or "rods" to help stabilize the neck. (I think)

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I did not think that Sadowsky used graphite in any of his necks. Somewhere on his site, he mentions that graphite modifies the sound in a non vintage sort of way. If memory serves correct...

Dave

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their are graphite reinforcments in the NYC Bass necks of the last several years. Roger also increased the headstock mass to help reduce the possibiltys of dead spots.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I love my metro. 8.35lbs. Awesome. I have 2 nyc's also and I use my metro just as much if not more than the others. Dont hesitate

Rob

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Six months ago there was nothing but excitement and anticipation for the Metros, now it's all second guessing Roger's plan. What's the idea here?

I think the Metros are amazing basses for the cash, or just plain amazing basses no matter what! Sure, they don't have a few features of the NYC, but they're really not necessary, nor do they make the Metro a lesser bass. Just different.

9. Roger has started using graphite bars in the wood neck for the NYC basses (I'm not sure about the Metro line) but they are not graphite necks like Modulus. Sadowsky himself has posted a response on this. Do a search looking for posts from member "Sadowsky" and you'll find the exact verbage.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you got an NYC bass a few years ago it would not have graphite, and not all of the NYCs are chambered (if the body seam would show through the finish).

Roger says on the site if you want one of the basic models you do not need to order an NYC bass ... the NYCs are the "custom shop", and the metros are the bass models.

My Metro RV5 is as sweet as basses get.

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    In a nut shell, the Metros are what NYC Sadowsky's used to be.
    ie: no graphite in the neck and slightly thinner headstock.
    A Sadowsky more than say 4 years old should have the same necks specs of the Metro.
    As for chambered body, it a weight thing. And you can get a non chambered NYC if ya want.

The quality to me is damn near the same between the two basses.

[QOUTE=tplyons]Six months ago there was nothing but excitement and anticipation for the Metros, now it's all second guessing Roger's plan. What's the idea here?[/QUOTE]

And I don't think anyone here is second guessing at all, at least not the ones who dig Sadowsky's. It just folks who are not in the Sadowsky loop so to speak!

My Metro is going back to Sadowsky for a neck issue, but it's something that to me does not reflect on the quality of the bass nor the company.

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    In a nut shell, the Metros are what NYC Sadowsky's used to be.
    ie: no graphite in the neck and slightly thinner headstock.
    A Sadowsky more than say 4 years old should have the same necks specs of the Metro.
    As for chambered body, it a weight thing. And you can get a non chambered NYC if ya want.

The quality to me is damn near the same between the two basses.

And I don't think anyone here is second guessing at all, at least not the ones who dig Sadowsky's. It just folks who are not in the Sadowsky loop so to speak!

My Metro is going back to Sadowsky for a neck issue, but it's something that to me does not reflect on the quality of the bass nor the company.