Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky NYC VS Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by albass111, Feb 13, 2006.

1. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am one of many Sadowsky fanatics on this site, and I noticed that when I AB'ed by Standard NYC Jazz against a RV4 Metro, there was a noticable difference. Both were maple necks but the NYC seemed to have a little more bite, and the neck fells a little more solid. Just more Mojo overall. That being said, My Lakland DJ4 with Sadowsky p/u's and Preamp, had the deepest tone of them all. It is almost 2 pounds heavier. Any other experiences? Does anyone with a Valenti with Sadowsky electronics have an opinion? What about the UV70?

2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I have never A/B'd a Metro and an NYC. I went NYC because of the wieght difference mostly. With the back troubles I have had an extra pound or two (UV series) makes a huge difference AND over the next 15 - 20 will be a huge factor.

Also, there aren't Metro PJ5's currently and that is what I bought. One from an individual and the other from Roger himself.

Not surprising about the Lakland sounding deeper given the extra two pounds. I'd love to be able to handle a 10+ pound bass. Right now, that isn't an option. Maybe after a couple more years of rehabbing my back.

I am still very much interested in an MM/J fiver bass but 34" scale. I have been talking to Nino about this in great detail and the BIG things are weight and a B string as tight as Roger's.

Not sure that answers your question. I have heard others comment that the NYC's just have something extra. Could be psychological. Roger says they are practically the same.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I dont think there are big differences. Very small at best. I acually like the neck profile of the metros. I own 2. I also own 2 nyc's. The nyc's are lighter, more options are available, etc. My blue metro is beautiful and plays awesome. My uv is also smoking!! The neck on it is the fave of my 4 Sad's. That being said, my nyc 4 sounds the best to my ears.

Rob

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I tend to think that the differences are minute, as well. My views are skewed by the age of the NYC basses I own, but I prefer the larger frets on my Metro as opposed to the smaller ones on the NYC basses I have. Otherwise, they sound remarkably similar.

I try to listen without predjudice - or my wallet - when making a sonic judgement regarding my Sadowsky instruments. I like my Metro better than my NYC models at this point in the game, but my NYC models are over ten years old and need refrets. For me, Comparing Metro and NYC models is like comparing Godiva and Norman Love chocolates - they're both great - it's just a matter of preference. However, money does talk and there may be those who disagree.

Ironically, I bought each of my NYC Sadowskys new for less than what you pay for a Metro now.....inflation and all, I guess....:)

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wait...

P/J 5 Metro?! Since when?

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

I meant AREN'T sorry... BUT..... stay tuned!

7. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I tried both an NYC and Metro and purchased the NYC. I thought it sounded bigger and was definately more resonant when unamplified.

8. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    FWIW - Sadowsky NYC has graphite bars in the neck, Metro does not.

9. albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Nemo, the graphite seems to make a little difference in terms of feel. I spoke with Roger at NAMM, and I wonder if it's a marketing ploy that he doesn't emphasize the graphite reinforcement in the NYC as much as I think that he should. According to my date of purchase, I HAVE the Graphite, but still need to set it up quite often. Not like a Modulus. I took my bass to Las Vegas (super dry climate) for 13 days, and immediately needed a setup when I returned home to the (moist)beach in California.

Thanks for all of the info. I also think that the Metro I tried was alder. Anyone know how much a a difference? Also, the UV70 or Valenti?

10. This should be good. I bought a Metro based on this statement on the Sadowsky site " Sadowsky Guitars is pleased to announce our new METRO BASSES. The Metro Line represents all the basic models of Sadowsky NYC basses but are made by our staff at Sadowsky Tokyo. The Metro Line offers most of the same features as their NYC siblings including the same pickups, preamp and bridge.
    Prices range from $1895 to $2400 and will be available from a network of select Sadowsky dealers. The quality of the Metro Line is as high as our NYC instruments."

The last sentence was the deciding factor. I didn't like it, and looking back I think the "minute differences" described in previous posts on this thread are the intangibles that seperate the good basses from the great basses. I'll be interested to check out the findings of those who've owned or played both.

11. I A/B'd an otherwise identical NYC vs. Metro RV5..same woods, color, etc. The basses were very close. The NYC was about a pound or so lighter (a very good thing) and had a slightly different neck profile at the nut... a little smoother taper to the headstock.

That being said... the NYC was delivered with a perfect set-up, the Metro had to go back for some fretwork (it came back perfect FYI). I'm not sure if that's a rare situation or not.

My feeling with other 'original vs. oversees' basses is more a 'consistency' sort of thing... i.e., if you get a good Squire, they are as good as any US Fender... but you may have to go through quite a few to find a good one. I don't think the Metro/NYC thing is anywhere near that extreme, though. However, it might be an issue.

Anyway, the other Metro's I've played were fine, although Sadowsky basses really need that passive tone control... they can be quite 'clanky' without it IMO.

PS Regarding the graphite bars in the neck, I must say my NYC has a very stiff neck, and has not needed any adjustment since arriving... wonderful.

12. UV70.... I had the pleasure of playing one recently. Sounded great but more like a Sadowsky than a 70's J. I believe Roger posted on another thread that the single coil pickup option helps that situation.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

NYC Sadowsky's are my first pick ! :bassist:

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Good point. The Sadowskys I've played (including the one I own) have been bright even when set flat or passive.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

And I believe this is why Roger recommends the Metro basses to everyone except those who want custom features only available to the NYC basses.

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ive owned 13 Sadowsky's all together. Ive never had one with the VTC. To say they are necessary, I dont agree. Either would Will Lee and many others. Alot of us like the open sound of Roger's pre and dont want to muddy it up. Again, not all will agree with me but many do

Rob

17. I guess my point was that the VTC gives you a lot of additional sound options. Since the bass sounds identical with the VTC all the way open vs. not installed (to me anyway), seems like a no brainer to me to include it. Most Sadowsky owners that I know use that control a lot. However, I can understand some liking the 'pure' sound of that bass 100% of the time, especially through more traditional amps or amps that have a more subtle treble response.

Since the only downside risk is $150, I would highly recommend anyone getting a Metro to have this option installed prior to purchase. Even if you leave it wide open most of the time, it can make that bass sound a lot better through some rigs, etc.

18. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I've owned a Metro 24F which I sold and I've now got a 24F NYC. Very little difference, if anything the neck on the Metro had a slight edge in terms of some quite exquisite finishing regarding the fretwork and fret ends. The NYC is lighter and projects better in the mix which I put down to an ash body over the Metros alder body, but thats my personal preference. I really agree with Rogers statement that if you want a Sadowsky without all the custom options - buy a Metro, there really is very little to choose between them. I count myself fortunate that I could stretch to the custom options on my NYC. (Spalted maple top, ebony board, black hardware etc...

19. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    The NYC P Bass I have has a Brazilian Rosewood board and this does make a difference over an Indian variety, which is what was on the Metro. Brazilian tends to have more high's and upper mids and Indian rosewood sounds a little dull in comparison, so I guess that's why I went with the NYC.

20. albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a Sadowsky with a VTC and without it and I've found that the active/passive, switch gives me enough color differentiation that I need. That being said, the VTC in Passive mode does some pretty cool things especially with thumb plucking. Anyone have anythingmore to chime in on regarding the graphite reinforcements?