1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky NYC vs Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zultimatez, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Besides the obvious difference of price and the metro coming from japan, what's the difference's between the two. They both get get reviews but what differenciates them.

2. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    there already are tons of thread for this question in here.

as Roger Sadowsky clearly states, there is no difference in quality. NYC comes with exotic woods and more option, that's it.

3. Peruse the Sadowsky Mega thread. There are a few hundred posts on this.

The base model NYC is somewhat similar to the Metro. The primary differences are that they NYC models have:

- routed body for slightly lighter weight (in most cases... some of the clear finished ash are not routed)
    - graphite reinforced neck with slightly thicker headstock
    - straplock buttons versus standard traditional buttons
    - US made tuning keys and bridge versus oversees produced
    - a nicer case and more case candy (you can choose the wonderful Porta Bag for no extra charge
    - more color options
    - Standard VTC
    - No cost to swap HC's for single coils if you choose.

(I think the above is accurate... EDIT: I made a couple of changes based on Roger's post to be accurate).

You will pay about $1,200 to $1,400 or so more for this stuff (at least for the RV/MV and MS models versus the RV/MV and Standard NYC's. The Metro Ultra Vintage are more expensive due to the blocks and binding, etc.).

I think the extra price is worth it, many don't.

K

4. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    as Roger Sadowsky clearly states, there is no difference in quality. NYC comes with exotic woods and more option, that's it.

This guy might know what he's talking about. :smug: Either way you can't lose... it's a Sadowsky!

5. Um... no, there are a lot of differences (see the above post). I would agree, that general quality is very good on the Metro's.

6. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Of course there are differences but in overall tone ... not to my ears. I'm not saying NYC are not worth the extra $$. Because they definately are if the "extras" are what you want.

7. +1 Many are very, very happy with the Metro's, and I've played some that were exceptional.

8. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    No arguments here. :cool:

9. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
  10. Thanks, i don't know what happened, i totally blanked and forgot about the search feature, as you can see i don't have many posts because i usually use it. I was also looking for more opinions on the tonal difference, not really the manufacturing process differences. So back to the search feature i go.

11. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    FWIW: I just got a metro PJ and its a really awesome bass. love it

12. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I think the main difference is the weight. Then comes the fanciness that you can add to the NYC models.

13. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    - I think the NYC has a thicker headstock
    - The tunning keys are the same (as far as I know) but the NYC says Sadowsky; the Metro says Hipshot

Pedro

14. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    IMHO, NYC is definitely worth for the money to me when I personally think of the weight of the instrument. To me, Lighter is always better and i feel so amazing to see how Roger could reduce even more weight of his basses while he keeps his superior Sadowsky tone on them!

To me, Sadowsky is very playable. Not like some other boutique basses that are good for hanging on the wall...

To talk about "sound quality", Metro and NYC are the same for sure. But when you talk about playability with variable hardware/wood support that also feeds your ego, spending your hard-earned $$$ on NYC is definitely good idea.

I am seeing that many Sadowsky users have more than one here. You could go with Metro first and you could get another NYC when your bank account allows you for your next NYC sadowsky GASing! :cool::cool::cool:

15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I cant comment about the headstock thickness, although others have said that the newer Metro's have the same headstock thickness as the NYC's, but I can say that the Tuning Keys on my metro (RV4) definately say Sadowsky. I think the Hipshot keys are only on the metro 5er's but I could be wrong.

That said I think my Metro is absolutely phenominal. Best bass I've played in terms of fit, finish, feel, and sound hands down. Rogers recommendation is spot on; if you dont need special wood or finish options, just get a metro.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Don't underestimate the significance of being able to select fingerboard wood (ebony, brazilian rosewood, etc.), and fingerboard radius.

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    It seems to me (I have played a NYC but never a metro) that although quality may be the same, they must be different instruments. The NYC are semi-hollow, the Metros are not. That's not a small, esthetic detail.
    IMO, if they are tonally alike, then its a powerful mythbuster as far as the influence of body woods on tone is concerned. (Full disclosure-I'm not one who believes wood type has a significant, consistent and predictable influence on tone, especially as compared to pups/strings etc).

18. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON

Aren't Metros are semi hollow?

19. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Metros are not chambered.

My main two axes are NYC Sadowsky's. One is Ash/Maple one is Alder/Rosewood. With identical strings, there is a noticeably different tone to the basses. They have the same pickups. If you put them on a graphic spectrum, you'd find a difference. When I use the Alder/rosewood bass, I usually scoop the EQ on my amp a bit to get a tone closer to my ash/maple.

FWIW, it was a Metro RV4 that I owned which had the best slap sound of all of them.

I have owned a total of 6 Sadowsky's in my life.

20. My Metro is one of the early ones, #189 and it has the same headstock thickness of the NYC's. There is no difference in headstock thickness between NYC's and Metro's as far as I know.