Sadowsky PJ/4 NYC Nitrocelluous Lacquer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Aug 30, 2004.

1. I've had my new Sadowsky PJ/4 for about 5 weeks now and am very happy with the instrument. It's taking some getting used to as there are several specific things on this bass I've not had experience with before.

First and foremost is the Nitrocelluous Lacquer finish on the neck. All my other basses have been tounge oil finishes which suit me very well. Ever since I've had the new PJ my hand will start to stick to the neck after playing short while. I've cleaned throughly and polished it and it still happens. I have very dry skin and rarely sweat on my hands and I always wash my hands before playing. The string are all clean etc. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Second, the bridge. It's pretty slick that you can just push the ball end of the string into the bridge from the saddle side without running the whole string through. I've had problems when it comes to tightening up though. I'm busy with both hands at the headstock guiding the string and winding. Trying to keep tension on the string while winding is difficult and sometimes the ball pops out of the seated spot and then " Boink!" I found this out the hard way the first time as a D string was not seated and popped out while I was warming up. :rollno: Does anyone have a method to this? I tried growing a third arm but it's taking too long... ;)

Third. Mentioned this on another thread. The pickup sweep knob works "counter intuitivley." When I turn the knob counter clockwise the neck (pj in this case) becomes dominant. When turned clockwise the bridge Jazz pup become the dominant. As stated before, no big deal, I'm already used to it, but it's different.

Fourth. Sadowsky's are naturally very 'bright' sounding instruments. I am starting to equate this more to clarity rather than actually bright. Do you find this to be evedent with your Sad. In which case, the ash/maple combo would be even brighter. I have the alder-chambered/morado.

Thanks for any feedback.
  2. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    I usually do this:
    1) Insert the string ball end into the bridge;
    2) Press firmly the string at the nut with my left hand thumb: this hold the string in position with the right amount of tension;
    3) Give the string as many turns as possible by hand;
    4) Thighten up to tune.
    It works!

(Sorry for my English, I can't explain the process better than this! Hope you understand!)

Enjoy the PJ!!
  3. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Ups ... my first answer is in the quote ... I'm a too-young-TBer!!
  4. :confused:

As I'd mentioned to you before, I find my Sadowsky PJ4 (alder, spalt top, Braz RW 'board) not bright at all but that's compared to my Sadowsky swamp ash maple board J bass. Compared to other basses I've played I don't think my PJ is dark either.

I don't roll back the treble at all on my amp which is a Kern IP-777 running into a Crown K2 and Euphonic Audio VL-210.

I keep the settings pretty much 'neutral' at 12:00 but do kick in the bright switch all the time. The deep switch I leave off for the PJ and may/may not kick it in for the jazz bass.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey biggie,

congrats! you pretty much have the little brother to my PJ5. did you buy this straight from the shop? did you buy it used?

all of my Sadowsky's have what feels like a satin finish. no nitro or plastic anywhere on the back of the board. again, its the best feeling neck i've played on ANY bass period. and not sure about the stringing issue. i havent had a problem at all.

if anything, a call or email to the gents in the shop or a PM to Nino should help you out no time. and try PM'ing Vanselus. i know he owns an NYC-PJ4, too.

and yea, at first it was curiously "bright", but compared to most other alder/rosewood basses, i've found that my PJ5's more "articulate", and isnt as muddy.

and yes, most of the Sadowsky ash/maple basses can be razor bright, but its usually tempered with that fat background of low end that you only get in a Sadowsky. FWIW, my ash/maple V5 is my main gigger these days.

also, that's the beauty of the Sadowsky sound, because there's NO way you're gonna be buried in any mix. ;) dark and smooth maybe nice for the home, but on gig, you'll need all the help you can get. i've found that the Sadowsky "brightness" becomes "presense" to help your bass cut thru.

oh, and dont be afraid to flip the P pickup. you'll have to pay for a new guard, but the tones are pretty cool. not as blunt as the regular P sound, but more focused and tight. awesome for fingerstyle, and bringing the G string out to prominence.

btw, got pics of the beaut?
  6. Thanks Joker. Yep ordered the silver bass custom right from Frank.

I think all the NYC Sads have the NC Lacquer. Mine even came with some little fuzzy socks for my stand to protect it from rubber that can attack that finish. The neck is very smooth and nice but after playing awhile I get the sticking in the cotch of my hand between the inside of the the thumb and palm.

Well put, articulate, my geetar player said he never heard me so well.

I don't think I can flip my P pup, don't you have to have a special routing for that or if you decide to go with a J later?

I can't get the picture small enough for attachment to fit....I'll put it on my gallery here at TB.
  7. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    All of our necks are sprayed in a "dead flat" nitro lacquer. Your hand will naturally buff the finish over time and it will feel more like a well played vintage bass than a new gloss lacquer would feel.

If you prefer the feel of an oil finish, you would have to sand through our finish on the back of the neck. Of course, we could do this for you if you wanted to send back the bass.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Big string, congrats! I know you waited a long time. I'd just keep playin' her and let your hand "polish" the neck up for you. You'll love the feel eventually and it will wear exactly to your style. Feels awesome in about 2 or 3 months with regular gigging. You might wanna think over your amp settings. I have a Demeter pre and I keep it pretty flat. Maybe a bit of bass but never any treble or mids. Never. Dont need them. Try this. Use the pre on the bass to dial in the thump and the sizzle. You'll dig it. I had a pj 4 for a long time. Thumping bass!!

Email me a photo. Wanna see!!!!

9. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
  10. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
  11. Thanks everyone. I really like the PJ it's a great bass. I've been playin' it all the time and was just wondering if it was just me sticking to the neck. I can dial in a lot of tones but I don't think I'll be able to reverse the P pickup like Joker suggested trying. That would be cool to try though. The panning knob is not an issue and I don't want to mess with anything. If I ever sent it back to the shop for something I would have them do it then, but I'm fine with it like that. I was just curious, or thought there was a reason. I consider myself fairly cooridinated but I'll have to practice putting the strings on without popping out the ball. Doesn't seem like anyone else was havin' a problem or maybe just don't want to admitt it aye ??? :meh: Just kidding. If you want to see my beeeeeautiful instrumnet go to my gallery on TB here. I don't have pic file small enough to get on the post. I am perplexed how everyone else is able to get nice clear pictures on. The file says it's like 564 and only will take up to 150. ??

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Big String

Congrads on a great instrument, Sadowsky necks are some of the best out their.
  13. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    This is kind of like do you prefer chocolate or vanilla. I can't tell you how many times over the years I have polled players and dealers to try to arrive at a consensus. But if I look at my hand when I rotate the knob clockwise, my brain tells me I am turning my hand toward the bridge. Counterclockwise, my brain tells me toward the neck. If you focus on your thumb rather than your fingers, you will probably get the opposite result.

Bottom line, there is no right or wrong on this. Almost all of my dealers agree with my interpretation of what is "right".

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Big String

How are you liking the Chambered Body?
  15. It's very light and comfortable. Thee most comfortable bass I've owned. I love the down sized Jazz body. Jazz bodies are my absolute fav and the smaller body even looks better on my shorter size, so my Wife says. The chambering probably makes some contribution to the tone etc. but I think it's mostly for weight being as the Alder available has been heavier than in the past.

The only thing I really need to do is get the action a bit lower. I have not got it perfect yet.
  16. Well, that kills my "counter intuitive" statement. Roger thanks for making my brain work more efficiently, I did not think of it that way. Now, can you help with the playing part? C'mon I know you can. :D

Thanks for a really great instrument. I'll get used to the items that I was asking about.
  17. Just wanted to comment on the feel of the neck after playing the PJ for several months. Roger (of course) was correct as well as Bikeplate. The neck finish is breaking in nicely and my hand is not "sticking" anymore. This is an awesome bass! I finally put Sadowsky flats on and O-MOMMA is it ever sweet. I love this bass and it's soooooo cool looking. Thanks Roger, Frank, Nino and all the others for answering all my questions.

Note: I just got a new InCase from Sadowsky and let me tell you it is one fine piece of gear. Very well thought out and extremely well made. Worth the $149.00 I might get another one too....
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was a little weirded out by the blend on my Valenti at first but now I prefer it. If I ever get another bass with a blend Ill wire it that way.

Someday Id like a Sadowsky though, that way I wont have to switch it up. :D