Sadowsky Testimonial

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In the newest issue of Bass Player, Lamarquis Jefferson, Atlanta session man who plays on Crunk records says the following about his Sadowsky:

"Without a doubt, the first bass I grab is the Sadowsky. That bass bought my house, my vehicles, and has paid for itself many times over!"

I don't own or have ever played a Sadowsky, I was just struck by such strong testimony.
  2. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I saw that also & thought it was a bold statement.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

4. Try one and you'll see...but then again it might not be your thing. Sadowsky's are made the way Fender SHOULD be making basses. The attention to detail, fit and finish, and electronics make Rogers instruments the ultimate tool for the working bassist. This is just my opinion and I know it's shared by many Sadowsky users. Out of all of my basses, my Sadowsky gets the most use, and it's because I know it's going to "work" for the majority of situations. Also, if you consider how much "upgrading" people do to basses, pickups, electronics, etc, with a Sadowsky you never really have to upgrade anything.
  5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I was convinced as I just rec'd and played my first Sadowsky. The tone is absolutely KILLER. As others say... "you just have to be there."
  6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    They're great basses, the price still astonishes me though!
  7. AJ-I dig your new bass!!!!!!!!! As far as price...What would you expect to pay for an instrument? The way I look at it, I don't want to skimp when my living is on the line, if my gear doesn't work...neither do I. You can't put a price on reliability, but then again, I think that price is somewhere between, $2000.00-$4000.00. :bassist:
  8. Unless I'm mistaken, he is a friend of Talkbass's own Woodchuck, and he's the guy who laid down the bass tracks on TLC's hit "Waterfalls"... a great player.
  9. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Four grand isn't bad for a professional level instrument for someone who makes money playing. Consider that a top of the line rig like Tommixx's Sadowsky/Accugroove/Thunderfunk will set you back around $6500 new. If you were a drummer, a top of the line five piece kit with all of the assorted basic hardware and cymbals (assuming you're not doing genre-specific snare drums and cymbal sets, which gets damn expensive) would cost you that easily.

Now think about how much it costs to be a pro cello or violin player. I'll take the drums/bass, thanks. :)
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree that for a person who actually makes money with his instruments, the price of a Sadowsky is reasonable. Especially when you are talking about the amount of money a major studio pro or touring musican can make. In fact, I'd rather pay $3,000 for a Sadowsky, a bass that will produce tones work well in the studio, than a similar amount for a bass with all the exotic tops and laminations but gets set aside at money
  11. I took my new Metro 4 to a recording session the other night and the producer was floored by the tone his exact words as his wife was cutting me a check were " honey we need to discuss a new purchase". I felt like I made the right choice as he assured me he'd be calling me back.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've heard worse...

heck, i probably said something crazy like that at one point or other... :smug: :D
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    A "standard" is as good as a "classic" when it comes to the studio!!!
  14. I have never played a Sadowsky but it looks like that you guys just loves them. Are they that good?

I have thinking of getting a Metro RV4. I have my eyes on two - One white and one Lake placid blue.
    I may a have Fodera Emperor 4 coming, So I can't make up my mind. But what I really need is a jazz style bass which is aktive. The Emperor is sweet as hell but also twice the money. All on Talkbass wordship Sadowsky :smug:
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The testimonial is impressive, and I'm a big fan of Sadowsky basses myself, but I think even Roger Sadowsky would agree that Lamarquis deserves the credit for his own success!
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Everyone loves something completely different. For me, nothing beats Sadowsky. I play 160 shows a year and alternate between 3 of them. Dont want to wear one particular one out. LOL

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree that no one actually needs a Sadowsky, but unless one is known for a distinct sound, a studio bassist better have at least high quality Fender style instrument in his equipment case be it Sadowsky, Lakland, Valenti, Lull, or whatever.
  18. They suck. That's why I have 4 Sads in my arsenal. ;) Sadowsky never paid for my cars or house but I am applying for a construction mortgage in the fall. I'll bring one of my basses along.
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a few months back, my roommate's bass player wanted to borrow my Modern 5 for their band's 5 song EP. i just recently got my copy, and its all too obvious which tracks were done with the Sad. :cool:

with their permission, i'll put up a small clip of one with and without. you be the judge. ;)
  20. thats funny, coz i would have to sell my vehicle and house, then take out a loan which i would have to pay over and over again till its paid off.

I still want one tho.