Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky users - Your amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dharma, Feb 22, 2006.

1. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Guys who dig on the Sadowsky sound, what kind of amps do you prefer?

Eden?
    G-K?
    Aguilar?

2. They sound pretty good through everything I've tried. However, a Sadowsky Vintage through an Eden rig seems to be just about perfect..... the Eden800 and a 410XLT.... the voicing match seems very good between that rig and the Sadowsky J Bass models. I haven't spent much time with the Modern's... so no feel for that.

I play my Vintage 5 NYC primarily through a Thunderfunk/Epi410UL and it also sounds great... but there's something about the Eden treble that sounds great with the Sadowsky... the Sadowsky can get a little 'clacky' in the high treble area IMO and the Eden voicing seems to warm that up a little bit.

3. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i have a ashdown abm evo II and a uv70. its a sweet combo.

4. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Ditto. WT-400 & Aggie cabs for me though. Huge.

5. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I have a Sadowsky 24-F 5 and use it through an Eden Metro Head (basically a WT550 twin channel) and an Eden 410xlt.

Best sounds I've ever had, mind you I think you could put anything through an Eden and it'll sound good.

6. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    My NYC 24 fret 5 sounds good whatever I plug into. I still have my old SM900 with EBS 410 and neo 12". Not the hippest rig maybe(what is hip, he he). I rarely thouch the EQ on the SM900. The J-type basses I`ve tried, including my Lakland DJ5, all requires much more EQ-tweaking. I can always make them sound good, it just takes more time. Thats why I like my Sadowsky "modern" so much, plug and play.
    Right I have a theatre-gig, and since the fan on my SM900 is a bit noisy, I `m using a JBL Eon active monitor, no problem, sounds fine.

7. bassbrother

bassbrother

May 9, 2005
    I have a Sadowsky MV5 as main bass. I use an Eden wt-800b in combination with an Eden 410XST and/or an Eden 210XST (depending on the gig). IMO the XST-cabinet series give deeper lows and smoother mids, which is great in combination with a Sadowsky!

8. DB750, TB550, Demeter201s/Crest CA9. Yum

9. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Ready............

I play my RV5 through the Bose PAS system. Great sound.

10. From the above posts, it's clear that there are lot's of different definitions of 'the Sadowsky sound'. Some consider the Sadowsky sound a more P Bass/flatwound thing, while others (including me) consider it a more J Bass roundwound type thing.

I can see the Ag rigs just smoking for the flatwound thing, and the Eden's really shining for the more 'modern' J Bass sort of Sadowsky sound.

It would be interesting to hear how the thread originator defines 'Sadowsky Sound' to provide more accurate suggestions.

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Another Eden dude, WT550 thru a couple of LDS cabs (210 UL-212UL). But I had an Aggie DB750 and it sounded great too. I do feel the vintage Jazzz type basses work better with a warmer vs. modern amp. But I've never heard my Sadowsky sound bad in a band setting.

12. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    From someone who has both - can you tell me about the sound/tone difference between a Sadowsky with a rosewood board versus one with a maple board. I am gassing for a Sadowsky 4 and am wondering (without trying one first) what the sound difference between the two might be. Your answers will help me in my search - knowing I should try both before buying!!

Thanks

Eggman

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Oddly, SWR amps really seemed to kick with my old RV5. Aguilar AG500 with GS410 was great as well. Alembic F1-X with a power amp and the GS410 had to-drool-over solo tone, but go buried in the mix. With a sadowsky you just want a clean and natural sounding amp, no hype, scoop, or tubification needed.

14. I own a RW and have played a number of maple board Vintage Sadowsky. It's hard to separate out the effect of the board, since most RW board Sad's have alder bodies and most Maple board Sad's have light ash bodies. Interestingly, I'm a total ash/maple guy but GREATLY prefer the Alder/RW Sadowsky's... the ash/maple Vintage Sad's that I've played had a very harsh and to my ear unpleasant upper mid/treble 'clank' to them. The VTC can help tame that, but the RW/Alder seems to fit those pickups and the Sadowsky pre much better. I was very surprised at the sound of the RW/Alder Sadowsky.... it can still slap like heck, but is nice and warm also. Of course, IMO.

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    What amp are you using now?

16. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks KJung - that was helpful. My local shop is supposed to get a few metros in sometime soon. I'll go try both board types out.

Eggman

17. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    Metro 5 - Aggie DB 750, Bergantino ht-322 and SWR Goliath Jr.

18. The Metro's don't come with the VTC as standard equipment. I use mine a lot., even on the RW model... and I'm a sizzly treble lover! If you find that the Metro's you play have too much treble response (especially the maple ones) when set flat (since the pre is boost only), you will find that the VTC will help a lot... I believe it's a $150 option on the Metro's.

Let us know how you like them.

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The other way to go is to get an amp that has less high end response, or turn down the highs at the amp.