1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky vs Sandberg - anyone have tried 'em both?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Klonk, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    I'm a big Sandberg fan, I have two Sandbergs at the moment, and I still yearn for more.

However, I also have GAS for a Sadowsky, based on the many many great reviews.

I have never played one myself, so if anyone here on TB have tried some Sadowskys and some Sandbergs, please tell me a bit about similarities and differences (build quality, neck feel, tonal versatility, weight, etc). Thank you!

2. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Noone?

3. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    I have a couple of Sadowsky's of which the Standard 5 is my favourite. I had the use of a Sandberg 5 for a while to check out and it was a sweet bass but I much preferred the Sadowsky. Things like playability, finish, balance, weight (the Sadowsky was a couple of pounds lighter) and of course overall tone.

Here's a pic of both on a gig

sadowsky3.

I also have a killer Sadowsky 4 and I am very happy with this 5 but am tempted every month by the Sadowsky Stock Update to pick up another (just waiting for the right one to come along)

4. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Banned

Oct 29, 2010
    I don't think there is much comparison, Sadowsky is on another level. It would be more fair to compare Sadowsky with Celinder or Alleva Coppolo

5. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    Yeah, I think you're right MVP. I played the Sandberg and the Sadowsky in rotation for a month with my early 90's ash / maple Stingray 5 which is also a pretty sweet bass, the Sandberg was more similar to the SR5 whilst the Sadowsky was on another level IMO. I actually had the Sandberg to check out whether it was something I could use to add another dimension to my tones but as the Sadowsky overall was the best of the three and it didn't add more than what the SR5 brought to table, it went.

6. ajwolfcale

ajwolfcale

Aug 7, 2011
    Nashville
    I've only played one sandberg, but I liked it more than any Sadowsky I've ever played. Both are great, I just enjoyed the sandberg more. but neither are my first (or second.... Or third) choice for a bass. If I'm going to drop that much on a bass, I personally prefer a few other brands.

7. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    IMHO the Sadowsky's I've played have all had much beefier necks than the California PM4 I used to own -- which I still think was the thinnest J-neck I've ever played, and was actually the reason for selling it.

8. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    If you want to stay s Sandberg fan don't get a Sadowsky. Just my personal opinion.

9. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
    IMHO Sandbergs are a pretty good alternative to other basses in their price-range (US Fenders and so on).
    But that Sadowsky I once played feld very superior!

10. PTB

PTB

Dec 21, 2006
    London, UK
    Yes I have tried them both. Great workmanship on both but to my ears, the Sadowsky sounds much better. It's a fuller yet crisper tone that I find just works in most settings without a lot of tweaking. With the Sandberg, I was always searching for a sound that worked. I now own a Sadowsky and not a Sandberg, enough said.

11. MKA

MKA

Apr 14, 2012
    Northern Europe
    Sandberg all the way! And of course, (hand)made in Germany Sandberg is about half the price of a made in far east Sadowsky... ;)