Sag stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by john keates, Feb 8, 2009.

1. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I love the sound of my homebrew hematoma when the battery is dying. I can get the same sound by using the sag dial on my pedal power but it would be great to be able to switch between the two.

Are there any pedals that work well with bass that have a sag function? Preferably that sound like a starved hematoma?

So far, I have found the Dwarf craft Shiva... are there others?

2. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I don't know of any either ... and like you I wonder why?

I use the SAG knobs on the PP2 on two of the pedals on my board the VooDoo Lab Micro Vibe to dim the voltage to the internal light bulb (it gives the pedal more of a watery shimmer) and the VooDoo Bass Fuzz for more crunch. Some pedals have internal trim pots for that the Micro Vibe does for instance. It's only a select number of pedals sag will work on, but for those an external knob would be nice.

:meh: ... Maybe the reason is pedal makers think it might confuse the customer ???

3. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
  4. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
  5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I just got the Shiva last week. I dig the control over the sag, it gates the thing nicely for a very glitchy lofi gated fuzz. Just what I wanted.

I've never used the Hematoma when starved, so I can't compare but the two don't sound at all alike when both powered properly. The Shiva is still glitchy and fuzzy, just not as gated or lofi when fully powered.

The Defiance would probably be worth checking out though.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Sounds like the Devi Ever Bit :p

7. Bingo. Build it into a small box with a switch to short out the pot.

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I was just thinking the same thing! Kudos!

I want to do this to a big muff and see how it turns out!

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, the two were close competitors but the Shiva had more sonic options available... octave up toggle, an oscilation toggle, and a starve switch and knob.

10. Just build one. It'sjust 4 parts and wire. Wire the switch so it will bypass the pot.
    Add an led and you have 5 parts should cost less than $10 depending on where you buy the case etc.

MM

11. I was away for a week, but just wanted to chime in that the EHX Germanium OD also has a sag control to go from 3 to 9 volts, and has a separate knob to change the bias, which interacts with the sag control very well

12. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The Beavis Audio Devolt is a great idea if you don't want to modify the pedal. I haven't seen gut shots of the Hematoma but it might have room for another pot for voltage sagging.

13. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Or you drill on the side, front, or back. Wherever you find the room, you can do it!

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You'd definitely get offset voltage popping then. The switch arrangement just needs to be a little more complex than that.

15. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Yup, the potentiometer to power supply (ala Beavis) is the best idea.

Its actually how the Fuzz Factory is wired(Stability knob.)

16. Something like the Devolt in a wah enclosure would be cool.

17. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    WARNING!! My hematomas preamp circuit died! HBE were very good about repairing it but it seems that it died because I was under-powering it! They warned against using rechargable batteries for that reason... so no more sag on my Hematoma from now on. Oh well... I still like it un-sagged.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021