1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saga Bass Kits

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    image.

Just curious if anybody has ever tried one of these Saga Bass Kit basses. It comes unfinished so you can paint it any color you want. Just unsure how good the quality would be. This J style bass is like $250.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Tampa, FL.
    I actually built the P bass kit alongside my buddy who made the Tele guitar kit. We did it as a summer project our last summer before going to college.

I want to say I was able to pick up the P bass for around $125.

Overall, it was fun! I ended up using the bass in one of my college bands as a main player for about a year when doing fraternity parties.

The bass actually has a really nice tone to it, and it ended up weighing less that 9lbs total. The neck isn't super stable but that's not unexpected.

If you're looking for a project to do then it's pretty fun. Hope that helps!

3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Do not spend $250 on this. There are lots of kits out there, check out Guitar Fetish.

jmattbassplaya and TinIndian like this.
  4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Guitar fetish has a JB bass for $105 with a maple board five bucks extra for rosewood. They use Pauwlonia for the bodies, kind of a lightweight ash wood i believe.

5. Also check out bargainmusicians, I'm working on one of their kits now.

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Personally I was never much impressed with the Saga bass kits. However, in their defense, I must say that I have built a Saga Les Paul guitar kit and recently playing it I was amazed at how good it turned out. I mean compared to my REAL Gibson LP (costing a couple grand) it compares VERY well in terms of tone and sustain etc. The kit was flamed maple and given my finishing skills turned out sort of so-so and certainly not amazing like my nitro Gibson, But as an instrument to PLAY it's great. Note a kit seems all about how good are your wood finishing skills. If you are able to get a passable finish onto wood there are a lot of very interesting kits out there.