Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Samarium Cobatlt pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Dec 16, 2005.

1. I heard that Fender has a new Jazz bass pickup that is supposed to emulate single coils.They are called Samarium Cobalt.
    Are those the ones that say Noiseless on the pickup covers?
    How good are they in comparison to say Lindy Fralins, Ultras or Nordstrands?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The samarium pups and the "noiseless" pups are different pups, I own basses with both. The samarium pups have a raised SCN on the bottom right hand corner while the noiseless say "noiseless". The Samarium pups are slightly warmer than the "noiseless". The SNC pups are very vintage sounding while remaining noiseless. I also own Fralins and it hard to compare the two because the SCN pups are in an active bass and the fralins in a passive bass. As far as how good they are, I would give them excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Samarium-Cobalt, Nickel-Samarium and many other mixes are commonly called Neodymium - just FYI

4. Where can I buy them?

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't think you can buy them from Fender, they are made by Bill Lawrence for Fender.