Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Same fret across two strings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by maxy, Jun 25, 2004.

1. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    Like if you play... D and A on the fifth fret do you use just your index finger crossing both the strings or use middle on D and index on A.

I mean when you play fast...doing one finger can make it sound ugly and its too much movement if you the other one.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I usualy use one finger. It sounds a little sloppier and slurred but you can help that by muting the string after you strike them etc.

3. Why on earth would barring two strings with one finger make it sound "ugly"? I can't recall having problems playing double-stops that way.

Mike

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think he means doublestops, but more of, the two notes in succession. At least i hope he does? Otherwise id be confused.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd use two fingers unless it was physically impossible (like some 4 note voicing on bass) where i'd have to bar strings. I prefere the tone of using my fingertips. I have quite a bit more versatility.

6. I guess it's not totally clear, is it?

Ok, let me elaborate a little bit. I can play cleanly fretting both strings with one finger. However, I have a little less control over note duration and muting that way. It actually makes less difference on fast parts than on slower ones, where the note endings are much more noticable. So, I use one finger or more than one depending on the situation.

Mike

7. When I play the "D and A on the fifth fret" with just my index finger, I don't have any trouble muting the first string, because when I move to play the next note, my middle finger touches the string that was just played, successfully muting it.

Just play for long periods of time, and the whole muting thing will become automatic. It's all about finding the right muting technique that sounds the least noisy.