Samsung Safety Truck - Brilliant!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Nov 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 48thStreetCustom and ptg like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I really doubt it's cheap enough for truck owners to modify entire fleets - that's some big screen there.

3. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Cool Idea

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Who gets the remote? ;)

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As long as the driver knows what he/she is looking at...

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It will be required in California by the end of 2017, cost billions to retrofit every truck, put several companies out of business and save exactly zero lives.

But the Samsung commercial for it sure is pretty, isn't it?

7. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    How do you know that it will not be effective to any extent?

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Nothing else about my theories bothered you????? The billions in cost? Possibly shutting down smaller trucking companies that couldn't afford to put a big screen TV on the back of every truck? The legal requirement to do so?

But if we can save just one life........ Oy. :rollno:

9. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I was not addressing any of the other issues you raised or expressing an opinion on the validity of the idea one way or the other. I was just asking what criteria you were utilizing to arrive at the conclusion that the technology was flawed.

10. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Cool, another crutch to help bad drivers.

petrus61 likes this.
  11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

One thing it would do that I would appreciate is allow a driver stuck behind a truck to see what's going on ahead. Sometimes that's enough. Being blind and blocked is maddening. If you can see, you may not want to pass, even if you can. This may be a personality quirk, but I get frustrated behind large, opaque objects because I can't look ahead. If those large, opaque objects became somewhat transparent through the use of a screen like this, I would agitate less. My wife would appreciate it very much.

catcauphonic and Fishheadjoe like this.
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Which is why we need to take the human drivers out of the equation and teach machines to do it, and have the machines all talk to each other to avoid screwups. Machines don't get tired, drunk, or stoned. (Yet. Just you wait. With AI being "just around the corner", so is Artificial Stupidity.)

13. Actually, it is 4 smaller screens with a video processor to make one large image. Probably less than $4,000 for the total system cost.

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    And what trucker doesn't have 4 grand laying around, right? :yawn:

buldog5151bass likes this.
  15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK, fine. How about this? Maybe it's a solution in search of a problem? Why don't YOU show ME hard data on the number of accidents or fatalities that are directly caused by drivers trying to pass trucks they can't see around.

16. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I agree that it may be a remedy in search of a disease. The ad says about 1 death per hour in that country but I know of no collection of statistics on our end that would substantiate that figure. So, I'll go back to my original thought which is that I have no real opinion on this until I see the numbers.

I will say, however, whether it is a viable tool or not that it is an innovative out of the box thought that merits kudos. (Again, not endorsing or bashing it.)

17. Death from these monitors is closer than it appears.

Atshen likes this.
  18. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I see what they did there, now that is thinking ahead.

19. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    What happens when driving on wet roads obscures the camera & displays with road grime?

But it's an interesting idea.

20. You pull around the truck, die in a head-on collision and your family sues Samsung.

petrus61 and Atshen like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021