1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sandberg vs Lull vs Sadowsky Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RolandMHall, May 22, 2018.

1. I'm a Lakland guy, but I wanted to broaden my horizons and add something different to my collection.

I tried out a Mike Lull MV5 and it was really nice. I played a few Sadowsky Metros. Awesome basses. Boy are they expensive....

Then I tried out a Sandberg California TM5. I believe the level of quality in Sandberg is equal to Fender Custom Shop, Sadowsky Metro, Mayones and a few of the others. Fretwork, non existent neck gaps, great balance, etc. Love the Sandberg tuners and bridge. The Delano/Glockenklang package is dead quiet, at least on my two.

If you ever get a chance to play a Sandberg and haven't, you really should.

I like them all, but IMHO opinion, the Sandberg California is 90% of a Sadowsky metro for about 1/2 the price. Sadowsky Metro is a better bass, but for me the laws of diminishing returns made Sandberg an easy decision.

They say you vote with your wallet.

This is what I went with.

20180522_102337.jpg

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Why is a metro a better bass?

Sounds like a Sandberg is essentially flawless, so maybe it's just a matter of taste?

3. Sadowsky is lighter and the preamp is better to my ears. But for me doesn't justify the additional cost. I also like sandberg because I haven't seen anyone in my area playing them. St. Louis is a fender town

4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The preamp is a matter of taste....I wouldn't necessarily agree Metros are lighter on average. NYC....yes, but they are chambered.

5. Agreed. Lb for lb to me the sandberg is top notch and it'd be awful tough to find anything better in its price range.

CaptainWally likes this.
  6. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Great looking basses. The MM/jazz pickup config is my overall favorite. Really does it all.

RolandMHall likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021