Sandwich ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    So, I like Reuben Melts, and everyone that I've ever had has consisted of:bread, swiss, corn beef, saurkraut and 1000 island dressing. The other day I ordered one and it came with coleslaw instead of saurkraut. Was this a faux pas? A misunderstanding? Is there a concrete recipe for a Reuben Melt or are saurkraut and coleslaw interchangable in it (I found I prefer the former with the latter on the side)
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ewwww...A hillbilly Reuben. My wife's grandmother puts cole slaw on BBQ beef sandwiches. That may be one of the singly most disgusting things I've ever heard of.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think I'd prefer it with cole slaw.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Dude... I love the south. Except for the toothless hick waitress asking me:

"Ya'll want slaw with that?"

and its gross.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cole slaw is a side dish. Sauerkraut is a sandwich topping. Interchanging the two is grossly wrong.
  6. Hmm, never experienced that kind of sandwich, what is it?
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What he said.

Slightly off topic:

Everyone knows that the greatest sandwhich ever consisnt of:

1 slice of honey wheat bread
    1 thick layer of "Peter Pan" crunchy peanut butter
    1 not so thick layer of no sugar added grape jelly
    1 slice of honey wheat bread
  8. To me!
    French "baguette" (bread)
    And mayonnaise....

9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    You force me to resurrect the greatest sandwich of all time. I haven't made one for a few months, so I probably will today.

Start with the previous dinner: Boneless, skinless pieces of chicken (thighs or breast tenders, either one will do.) Add fajita seasons. Cut the chicken piesces most of the way through and lay them open. Place a jalapeno rind (just the green part, no seeds) into the chicken. Wrap in bacon. Bake till done.

Serve with wild rice and salad. Awesome.

Now we move on to the important part.

The leftover chicken pieces are to be sliced in thin layers. Somewhere between 1/4" and 1/8".

Now grill buttered bread in a skillet. I prefer honey wheat berry or potato bread. Use whatever kind you prefer.
    On one slice place sharp cheddar cheese. On the other slice place monterey jack cheese.
    Place a layer of the thinly sliced leftover chicken on one slice of bread.
    Then add sliced tomatoes, baby spinach(in stead of lettuce) and thinly sliced red onions.
    Pesto mayo, but not so much that it gets runny
    Place other slice of bread on top.
    Add pressure. I use a teapot with a quart of water inside.
    The melted cheese on each slice of bread should sort of 'glue' the sandwich together. Remove from heat let it sit under pressure. Slice it in sections. Enjoy.

Manna from heaven, or at least from my kitchen.

edit: I forgot the Pesto Mayo
  10. The greatest sandwich of all time does indeed contain cole slaw! The sandwich can be had at Zingermans Deli in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It contains the following:

Grilled Sourdough bread
    Cole Slaw
    Apple wood smoked bacon
    pulled barbecue chicken
    grilled sourdough bread

Cole slaw is perfectly acceptable as a sandwich topper, and it absolutely MUST go on top of a chili dog!

As for cheezewiz -- who are you to talk about hillbilly's? We are both from Ohio, and you know there is as much hillbilly in us as anyone! (Unless you are North of Columbus -- I am not) :D :D :D
  11. Wow...We have to meet! :smug:
    Sounds really good!
  12. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Call your lawyer. Slaw on a Reuben is a felony in your state.
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Best sanga's are with left over snags, or a good old avacado/chicken style sanga, your choice of topping..
  14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm glad there is still some semblance of sanity left in the world. Slaw on a hot sandwich completely destroys the hot/cold dynamic. It's place is on the side, where it can be indulged to alleviate the savoriness of the kraut and corn beef.

This thread can now continue being about favorite sandwiches.
  15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ya, a reuben deserves kraut.
  16. You, sir, have obviously not been to Zingerman's, which is a deli and is regarded as one of the best places to eat on the planet, no matter which report you are looking at!

I'm just saying, until you have tried it . . . :D
  17. Look, I, with the last name Rhoton, and being from Ohio, completely understand the German need for kraut. Even with my German heritage and living in Cincinnati (Zinzinnati), have to admit that slaw kills kraut on a sandwich.
  18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Slaw vs. kraut...They're both gross IMO.

My favorite sandwich lately is from the deli next door. Its called the Tuscany. It consists of fresh, thinly-sliced italian roast beef, grilled eggplant,red onion, tomato w/ pesto mayo on italian bread. mmm.
  19. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, you certainly have the heritage... but still I disagree. Honestly, I'm not a claw fan. That white creamy jizz stuff is gross to me... like liquid lard.. *shudders*