Sans amp bass di question[Im DumB]

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by flea claypool, Feb 14, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    sorry im a bit of a loser when it comes to the technical stuff
    me and my band plan on buyin a boss 1600cd digital recorder
    so i need a xlr output from my amp right?

well i have a warwick combo and i dont want to buy a new amp so am i right in saying i can just hook up the xlr from a sans amp to the mixer?

does the sans amp have to be on always just to use the xlr

also i know lots of you have them but theyre pretty rare in IRELAND!!! :crying: so whats the general big deal what are they like sorry lads!!

Thanks Aurin
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i think it has to be on, but im not sure. i have used them in the past.

also, if you plug your di in, and use the xlr out on that what happends is it takes the sound from the bass and pedal into the board NOT your amp.

also, why not just buy a mic and mic your cabinet? then you dont have to front money for that sans amp.
  3. I'm 99% sure that you can take a regular 1/4inch guitar cord from your amp and plug into the digital recorder.

If your amp has a "line out" or an "FX Send" jack use that.
  4. It needs to be on to use the XLR, but it can run on the phantom power of the xlr plug, so thats ok :)
    If you were to record using the xlr you wouldnt need an amp, you could just take your bass and a sansamp along

Its hard to get them in scotland too, but look on ebay, theres one sitting at £75 right now!
    ( )
    ( I've got the highest bid which its at [£75], but dont really want it, as ive got one now! )

Also, its cheaper to buy from, and have it shipped, than it is to buy it in a shop in the uk/ireland, about £70 cheaper, and thats including the shipping!
  5. Yeah, aslong as its from the preamp output its ok, dont run anything thats been through the power amp . . .
  6. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    Depending on what bass you have, you can go right into the recorder and use the head phone. My warick bass records best if i don't use any other pre than the one it already has.
  7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    ya its a warwick alright... so this actually aint as difficult as i made it out to be!!!
    thanks guys!
  8. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Just to clarify, the SansAmp BDDI does not have to be "on" to use the XLR out. All the footswitch on the BDDI does is engage and disengage the tube emulation circuitry. This is the appeal to using the is a transparent DI box. Also, you can use the 1/4 inch output on the BDDI to record into your mixer, but you can't use phantom power through the 1/4 inch out. Hope this helps........
  9. I don't think the BDDI has to be on to use the XLR out either, but once you turn it on you won't want to turn it off. They sound great. I have done quite a bit of recording using a BDDI straight into the board. Sounds excellent.