1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sans amp help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ianmcdermott, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ianmcdermott

ianmcdermott

Feb 20, 2009
    Hey everyone. This is my first post and I'm sorry if I'm asking something that has already been talked about. I've playing since high school and toured with bands during/after college. I've always been a "less is more" kind of person. Example: for the longest time when touring with my band my pedal board was Bass =>Tuner => SansAmp => amp/cab.

I've been off the road for a while now and might be heading back out in June so I've been trying to build my pedal board up a little more. Now my set-up goes Marcus Miller Signature Jazz Bass => Tuner => Aphex Punch Factory => Ernie Ball VPjr => Voodoo Lab SparkleDrive => EHX Bass Big Muff => SansAmp BDDI =>MarkBass Little Mark II =>Ampeg SVT-610HLF

Before adding all the stuff I've always kept my SansAmp on all the time to get my clean tone. Now when I have it on if kick on the VLSD or the Big Muff they don't sound right and I can't get the tones I want from them. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot. I love reading through these forums.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Personally, after I got my LMII head i sold my sansamp because I realized how stupid and unnatural it sounded.

To each his own.

3. ianmcdermott

ianmcdermott

Feb 20, 2009
    yeah, i'm still going to keep it because when i play at church they just have me go direct and i like it for that, but i've wondered if i even have to incorporate it when i'm playing through my rig.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The BDDI's OK, but I think the preamp in the LMII is much closer to the Ampeg mark than the BDDI, except for how clean it is, but you have two other distortion pedals that should serve you fine in that regard. I'd try it without it and see what you think.

Of course, Santucci said it more to the point ;)

5. ianmcdermott

ianmcdermott

Feb 20, 2009
    awesome. well thats a simple solution. thanks guys. i really don't need it on with the LMII, so i'll just bypass it when i'm going through the rig.

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    welcome mate!