1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp bass driver DI OR the GT2??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 14, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey all, I'm wondering which one of these is preferable. I already have the bass driver DI but I'm thinking about replacing it with the GT2 and would like some input. I've worked with the bass driver for years now, sometimes very happy with, sometimes hating it. But I'd like to know if it would be a good idea to replace the DI with the GR2 or even add it to my existing rig. Obviously Justin chancellor has turned me into this pedal and I keep hearing marvelous things about it. What are y'all's take on this question? What would you do? I just picked up a Rat distortion too, loving it. Want something that will make that baby sing even more. Thanks in advance.

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I had a GT2 for a couple days once. It had one setting that seemed appropriate for bass, otherwise it was a little thin for my taste. I know some folks like it. I've only used models of the BDDI and I think I understand people's mixed feelings about it. I appreciate some "warmth" but I really value clarity as well so I'm not a huge fan if these products thus far.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    If you were using a "preamp" pedal, what would you/do you use? I use GK stuff. I do really like the tone my 1001 RB puts out but I'm so used to the BDDI that I'm having a hard time not using it/ditching it.

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Do you use the BDDI for OD or more for warming up your GK?
    I play through an AI Clarus, with a BJFE Blueberry for mostly low gain drive. For headphone practice I use a Zoom B3 favoring the Fliptop model.

5. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I have the BDDI, GT-2 and VT Bass, the VT Bass is the most useful.
    unless you want really heavy crunch style distortion, then I might consider the GT-2.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I really am going for and want warm tube sounding fuzz/distortion. Amy suggestions? I like the rat I just got but I feel there's something better out there still.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Have you tried combining the rat distortion with the sansamp bass driver? if you haven't give it a try. you might get a pretty unique sound. the use of a tube emulation pedal with a distortion pedal can give you a warm heavy sound. I did something like that with a hartke bass attack pedal and a digitech bass driver and I got a pretty cool sound. so give it a shot and see how it works out.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The GT-2 really needs to be ran in a blender pedal to get the best results IMO. It's got a good bit of low end loss, but it sounds great in a blender.

9. brett25

brett25

Aug 9, 2011
    oakland, ca
    the Tech 21 stuff is consistently good, the VT is probably the best.

I have my BDDI for sale, now that I bought an EBS valvedrive

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I just ordered the vt2 today. Vant wait to get it. Now, would any of you use the BDDI and VT2 together supplementing each other or would you use one or the other. Oh choices choices....

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Both. I currently have both on my pedal board (VT->BDDI). I normally run the BDDI on its own for its scooped deep lows. When I run them together it's usually to simulate DUg Pinnick's unique distortion. The VT gets me that sizzling grind while the BDDI provides a thick deep low end. If you're not familiar with DUg or King's X, this is what I'm talking about...

[Youtube]IiFqwdPgJ40[/Youtube]

12. tmvqpbvu

tmvqpbvu

Mar 3, 2013
    I like the rat I just got but I feel there's something better out there still.[​IMG]

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I just returned a rat last week. Sounded awesome in the store and in my room. I tried it in the band mix though, that thing was completely lost. Even my low end went away. I just picked up the OCD by fulltone today so well see how that goes. Distortion is a touchy beast for us bass players I think.

And I totally dig kings X sound. Good stuff.