Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp just altered the sound too much...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kwan, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Kwan

Kwan

May 14, 2004
    I have a Sansamp bass driver DI, what I found is it just removed almost all of my mid tone form the sound.

When I direct record from my Peavy microbass (headphone out), the mid tone appear again...

Then I check out the basstaster.com, I found that the Sansamp just altered the sound TOO MUCH when comparing to other direct boxes...

Dissapointing.... :crying: :crying:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Play around with the settings - for example, don't boost the bass and treble settings up so much or don't push the blend to 100%. See if that helps.

I've been content with the tone I've got recording though my SABDDI - eg, Lovesjones' take on Apparently Nothing recorded last November (Sei Bass - SABDDI - board).

Wulf

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, I hardly ever move the blend past 50%. My settings are pretty much at 12 o'clock across the board (but level knob set to the right point where it's not overloading my mixer). This gives me a full, clear direct sound but with just a little hint of miked-amp-like honk. It's subtle but it sounds more appealing to me than just a pure direct tone.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the only way it should cut mid is if you boost the lows and highs too far. I've used one forever and get fantastic mid punch with it, no mid cutting at all. OTOH, we have very different equipment so who knows?

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

True enough. I notice the mid cut when using SABDDI or RBI with my hi-fi cabinets (Bergantino HT's), so I back off of Blend, Treble, and Bass to compensate somewhat. But the mid cut sounds fine with my sealed 6x10 cabinet.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Would you say that the 6x10 tends to have a natural mid-range hump? The equipment being used is going to make a lot of difference as each piece of gear comes with its own 'built in' EQ.

Wulf

7. Kwan

Kwan

May 14, 2004
  8. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I, too, am in perfect control of my mids with my sabbdi.

9. Kwan

Kwan

May 14, 2004
    For the sound clip, the Sansamp setting is

- Level: Full
    - Blend: 9 o'clock
    - Treble: 9 o'clock
    - Bass: 9 o'clock
    - Drive: 3 o'clock

With an Alesis Nano Compressor, and Recorded with Sonar3.
    My bass is Fender USA Deluxe P BAss V, with:
    - Level: Full
    - Blend: Middle
    - High: FUll
    - Low: Middle
    - Mid: Middle

What I want to archieve is now mid definition.... :ninja:

10. Kwan

Kwan

May 14, 2004
    I think the mid now is OK...

Thanks for everyone suggestion!! :)

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The SABDDI's controls seem to be somewhat sensitive, especially the Presence knob. Just a little bit on that knob can make a drastic change in sound for me.